Anyone need help with small projects?

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
Vimm
Party member

Anyone need help with small projects?

Post by Vimm »

So my computer doesnt run very well, and as a result I can't run anything I make in lua or love for more than a few seconds. This makes it really hard to learn how to make games. So I decided that instead of trying to make my own things, I'd learn by helping people with small projects and what not, since then I only have to run the program to see if my part works. However I'm still new and I'd be treating this more like a learning experience, if that's OK and someone needs help in some way, let me know in PM and I'll try to help, if it involves me learning new things then all the better.
DaedalusYoung
Party member

Re: Anyone need help with small projects?

Post by DaedalusYoung »

You could always try to see how Code Doodles work and try to make your own, will get you experience and feedback from others how to improve your code.
s-ol
Party member

Post by s-ol »

Just wondering - what kind of computer do you have exactly? You should be able to run basic LÖVE games on a raspi even, so your pc would have to be extremely old to perform that bad

s-ol.nu /blog  -  p.s-ol.be /st8.lua  -  g.s-ol.be /gtglg /curcur

Code: Select all

print( type(love) )
if false then
  baby:hurt(me)
end
Sulunia
Party member

Post by Sulunia »

s-ol wrote:Just wondering - what kind of computer do you have exactly? You should be able to run basic LÖVE games on a raspi even, so your pc would have to be extremely old to perform that bad
I think he's the one who mentioned on some other thread his video card is glitchy, and stuff simply doesn't run well.

Well, i'll give you a nice idea them: who needs to load graphics when you have awesome functions like love.graphics.rectangle or love.graphic.ellipse or love.graphics.line?

The point being, you can make a pretty juicy game with simple polygons that are drawn in realtime by the GPU. I don't think you'll have any issues with that no matter how long you keep your love project running.

This is what i meant by "juicing":
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fy0aCDmgnxg)

You can do this whtout sprites, just rectangles, ellipses and colors. And effects, such as tweening and stuff.
Don't check my github! It contains thousands of lines of spaghetti code in many different languages cool software! :neko:
https://github.com/Sulunia
Vimm
Party member

Post by Vimm »

DaedalusYoung wrote:You could always try to see how Code Doodles work and try to make your own, will get you experience and feedback from others how to improve your code.

Oh that looks really neat :o I'll probably end up doing some doodles myself!
Sulunia wrote:
s-ol wrote:Just wondering - what kind of computer do you have exactly? You should be able to run basic LÖVE games on a raspi even, so your pc would have to be extremely old to perform that bad
I think he's the one who mentioned on some other thread his video card is glitchy, and stuff simply doesn't run well.

Well, i'll give you a nice idea them: who needs to load graphics when you have awesome functions like love.graphics.rectangle or love.graphic.ellipse or love.graphics.line?

The point being, you can make a pretty juicy game with simple polygons that are drawn in realtime by the GPU. I don't think you'll have any issues with that no matter how long you keep your love project running.

This is what i meant by "juicing":
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fy0aCDmgnxg)

You can do this whtout sprites, just rectangles, ellipses and colors. And effects, such as tweening and stuff.
Yeah I'm that guy, and yeah I've been using rectangles for the most part, but usually if I run a program for too long, itll crash my graphics drivers, but that usually doesnt occur till i run it for maybe 5 minutes, so its better than nothing haha...I really need a new computer..

Also yeah, juicing up my games is something I'd love to do, but I barely understand the logic behind how most effects work :c
Sulunia
Party member

Post by Sulunia »

Instead of directly defining certain values, such as the Y position of the blocks in the blockbreaker example, you instead use a math function to set this value indirectly.

BlockY = 30
would be

BlockY = 0 --define this in the load
BlockY = lerp(BlockY, 30, 0.05 ) -- make sure you run this inside the update
In this case, instead of simply appearing at the Y = 30 position, the block would slide down until it's Y was equal to 30.
Don't check my github! It contains thousands of lines of spaghetti code in many different languages cool software! :neko:
HaftSwimmingly
Prole

Post by HaftSwimmingly »

Vimm wrote:
Sulunia wrote:
Yeah I'm that guy...
May I ask what graphics card you have?
tomaki on IRC
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

Notice that you don't necessarily need graphics to make cool stuff. You could, for example, investigate sound synthesis - maybe doing synth music. I remember seeing some threads about it some time ago. It's a road few people take, because there's some math and sound is less "flashy" than graphics. But it might suit you.
When I write def I mean function.
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

Not to mention the fact that löve can actually work without a window at all!

... though i only have win7, but i don't know whether it's possible or not to get input from the console on any OS;
if it's not, then still, coding a console-based synthesizer that plays back some very simplistic music files (or even just a string of characters) passed in as parameters would be something! :3

Otherwise, true text-based adventure games await :D
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
Sulunia
Party member

Post by Sulunia »

zorg wrote:Not to mention the fact that löve can actually work without a window at all!

... though i only have win7, but i don't know whether it's possible or not to get input from the console on any OS;
if it's not, then still, coding a console-based synthesizer that plays back some very simplistic music files (or even just a string of characters) passed in as parameters would be something! :3

Otherwise, true text-based adventure games await :D
Actually, i had an idea after watching "the matrix" again. I thought about using love2d to create a "matrix console", which would get information from a lot of different websites and spit it out on the console in realtime.
Quite useless, yes, but i would use threads to gather data and also would improve parsing skills/JSON, aswell as providing me with a nice "screensaver". :D

Currently i won't pull it off since i got my hands full with BeatFever though.