LÖVE API for Eclipse LDT (preview)

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
leafi
Prole

LÖVE API for Eclipse LDT (preview)

Post by leafi »

Hi all,

So https://eclipse.org/ldt/ (the new Eclipse LDT, successor to Koneki) seems to be pretty solid these days. I've started writing an Execution Environment (like IntelliJ's concept of an SDK) for LÖVE based on the previous Koneki work and a homegrown converter from the love-api table to LDT-format LuaDoc.

GitHub

Generator for the api.zip file that goes inside the outer EE zip: https://github.com/leafi/love-api-to-ldt-luadoc
Exploded outer EE zip: https://github.com/leafi/love-eclipse-ldt

Download & Installation

The easiest way to install this is to grab & install Eclipse LDT, then follow the instructions for a pre-built Execution Environment at https://github.com/leafi/love-eclipse-ldt#pre-built.

If you want to build a new version from the latest love-api tables, there's instructions for that, too.

It should be pretty straight-forward. Shout at me if you have any trouble.

Issues
  • Enums are referenced, but not defined. You'll see an autocomplete popup telling you about window#FullscreenType, but not what the valid values are. I don't know how to encode enums in LDT format LuaDoc.
  • All overloaded functions only have the first definition emitted. (First in lua-api order, not wiki order.) I can't find a way to represent function overloading in LDT LuaDoc. A particularly egregious example right now is the definition you're shown for love.graphics.newImage() implies the 'format' parameter is necessary.
  • You'll need to set up the Eclipse Run Configurations yourself. Click the little down arrow next to the Run button, and edit Run Configurations... Slightly annoying, but not a deal breaker.
  • utf8 Lua module autocomplete missing. For the non-LÖVE stuff, I'm literally shipping the LuaDoc files from https://github.com/RamiLego4Game/LOVELuaDoc-0.9.0, and it doesn't have that.
  • Probably more I just haven't found yet. Report them!
Credits All code I wrote is licensed under zlib/libpng/MIT/BSD (your choice). I don't know what the license of the original LOVELuaDoc is.

Suggestions, complaints, bug reports, forks, witticisms welcome.
rmcode
Party member

Re: LÖVE API for Eclipse LDT (preview)

Post by rmcode »

Sweet! :nyu:
leafi
Prole

Post by leafi »

Thanks to @sirskunkalot, updated for LÖVE 0.10.1.

I've been busy lately (new job.. woo!), and the project I'm spending all my free time on isn't LÖVE so I'm still currently absent from the project. Any ideas about keeping it maintained til I'm back are welcome.

(I'll probably be back in a few months, unless one of the other editor bindings turns out to be better... Damn but I wish there was a solution for overloads in Eclipse-LDT!)
sirskunkalot
Prole

Post by sirskunkalot »

Hi everyone,

I thought I register here to inform about an update of love-eclipse-ldt. I did not find a solution to the overload "problem" (sorry, leafi :)), but I eliminated the need for aliasing the love.math package with "LOVEmath": https://github.com/leafi/love-eclipse-l ... 0.10.1.002

leafi granted me access to love-eclipse-ldt, but not to love-api-to-ldt-luadoc, so the change in the code is not yet commited to the official repo (but can be grabbed from my fork).

Cheers,
sirskunkalot
RamiLego4Game
Citizen

Post by RamiLego4Game »

Wow O_o the 0.9.0 version of the LuaDoc was the first thing I made before programming any game in LÖVE (It has been done manually by hand xD [I didn't know anything about the generator !]). I didn't link it anywhere on the internet, and I don't know how did you got your hands on it ?? (I guess you found it in the forked repositories page of the 0.8.0 LuaDoc), Any way I'm glad to see something I made when I was 12 years old being used by someone :D
sirskunkalot
Prole

Post by sirskunkalot »

Hello everybody,

just a little update on the EE: I've been granted access to the main repos, so I deleted my own fork and commited everything to leafi's site. Last weekend I got bored, so I thought I could as well do some community service ;)

Eclipse LDT EE for Löve 0.10.1 - generated with the newest lua-api
sirskunkalot
Prole

Post by sirskunkalot »

@RamiLego4Game: Kudos for doing this back in the days. You vastly improved my learning curve with 1. the luadocs itself and 2. making me port the 0.9.2-generator to 0.10.1 (well, kind of ;))
bladum
Prole

Post by bladum »

sorry for digging up an old thread, but that this work ?

I tried latests files to complete setup, all is fine, Love.exe is being run from IDE but no game is being loaded.

Where and what kind of argument must be set to actually run love engine plus project itself ?
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (19.05 KiB) Viewed 8989 times
PS: actually solution is simple

remove -e "io.stdout:setvbuf('no')" from interpeter
Capture2.PNG
Capture2.PNG (68.5 KiB) Viewed 8988 times
sirskunkalot
Prole

Post by sirskunkalot »

Hi all,

just for the record: I've released a ready-to-go EE for 0.10.2.

Eclipse LDT EE for Löve 0.10.2
sirskunkalot
Prole

Post by sirskunkalot »

Hey everyone,

I found some time and made a new version of the eclipse EE for löve, now compatible with the current master of love-api: Eclipse LDT EE for Löve 0.11.1

cheers,
sirskunkalot