hotline miami?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
xNick1
Party member

hotline miami?

Post by xNick1 »

Hi!
Hotline Miami had a great success during the last few years.
It's made in GameMaker.
I'm new to Love and game programming in general, so I was wondering if it was possible to make the same product in Love.
Can Love go that far?
s-ol
Party member

Re: hotline miami?

Post by s-ol »

yes

s-ol.nu /blog  -  p.s-ol.be /st8.lua  -  g.s-ol.be /gtglg /curcur

Code: Select all

print( type(love) )
if false then
  baby:hurt(me)
end
xNick1
Party member

Post by xNick1 »

raidho36
Party member

Post by raidho36 »

Just goes to show that it doesn't matter what tools you use.
Positive07
Party member

Post by Positive07 »

It does matter though, but LÖVE happens to be a good tool to do 2D games, I wouldn't be using Brainfuck to code a 2D game, nor would I be using LÖVE to write a web page, nor would I use Excel as a 3D engine you know? The tool matters, use the right tool for the right job
for i, person in ipairs(everybody) do
[tab]if not person.obey then person:setObey(true) end
end
love.system.openURL(github.com/pablomayobre)
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Hotline Miami is perfectly possible. As long as you know how to do it. It's actually quite simple when you break it down. It's just all the work. Don't expect to just spit one out in a few hours. (I'm sure the real game took a long time even in GameMaker.)

Just don't try and copy it. Make your own game using the same kind of play style. There have actually been a few games that use the same top-down twitch-reaction gameplay that HM used. I don't remember their names, but there was a western game with a blueprint style and a more recent one somewhere.
raidho36
Party member

Post by raidho36 »

With some tools it's easier than with others, but if you create what you want with it, it doesn't matter, because you just did it anyway. Minecraft was made with Java, which is a very poor choice for making a video game, especially of that kind, but that didn't mattered, did it.
Positive07
Party member

Post by Positive07 »

Well if you are naive enough to tackle hard projects like that then there is a slim posibility that after LOTS of work you may be able to do it... I think that the tool should somewhat be the right one for the job, but who am I to say that? I even write applications in LÖVE instead of games and I'm even writing a code editor with it, which LÖVE is not made for, since text and layouts are not nicely handled, but LÖVE provides enough tools to work it out, there are other tools that may not provide the right tools as I said Brainfuck is not made to program games, the logic is hard, there is no 2D output just a very basic console output... Using the right tool takes a heavy weight from the developer, it also reduces frustration and complains like "The framework doesn't have said feature, please add it because I need it"

PS: LÖVE is the right tool for whatever 2D game you may want to make, even 2.5D games, 3D is harder though, there are libraries and tools to help you develop whatever you may want from top down to platformers to roguelikes to RPGs, space shooters, pongs, snakes....
end
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

If you want it enough, you can hammer a nail with a circular saw.
That said, i'm also writing a sequencer in LÖVE, as in, realtime audio. Because i wanted to do it enough. :3
And also because there were solutions that i could use to accomplish this. That said, i'm not the end user in this case.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
Positive07
Party member

Post by Positive07 »

Well as you said, you must want to do it enough! And it probably means a lot of work right? That you may not need if a tool existed to do that kind of stuff, but that may not be your case though, since you may want to use the sequencer for a game and there are no engines that provides such a thing...
end