Geometry Wars style game demo

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Codiak
Prole

Geometry Wars style game demo

Post by Codiak »

Hey,

I've just finished a game in the style of Geometry Wars and thought I would post it here in order to get some feedback.

Thank you, hope you like it.
Attachments
ProtoWars_v2.love
(4 MiB) Downloaded 326 times
ProtoWars.love
(4 MiB) Downloaded 293 times
Last edited by Codiak on Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nevon
Commander of the Circuloids

Re: Geometry Wars style game demo

Post by nevon »

Well that wasn't a whole lot of fun. Ran the game, it went fullscreen and completely black, background music played, and... That was it. I couldn't kill it, couldn't get out of it, hell, I couldn't even switch to another tty to kill love. I ended up having to power off my system.

Commenting out love.graphics.setMode() fixed it.

Are you aware that you can go off-screen both down and right?
Thursdaybloom
Citizen

Post by Thursdaybloom »

Not afraiding of killing my OS I ran the love as is and it worked fine for me (LOVE 0.6.2 on OS X 10.5.8). The game played without problems and I couldn't get the player ship to fall offscreen in any direction. I haven't peeked at the source code yet. I'm not really that good at pointing out effiency improvements to anyone so I probably won't even bother until the weekend when I have some time to see how you've made the game. I think you've done amazingly well and in the 40 seconds I played it for I couldn't find a bug. Well done
nevon

Post by nevon »

Oh! Now I see why I could go off-screen both left and down. In conf.lua the screen width and height is set to 800x600, but in the game it's normally set to 1280x720. But since going fullscreen killed my computer, I disabled the setmode method call. If I change the settings in conf.lua to 1280x720, it works fine.
Codiak
Prole

Post by Codiak »

Oh sorry about that, could it be the fullscreen setting that is causing it to crash? I always seem to have bad luck when other people test my creations :(

Anyway glad the game plays well enough when it starts up correctly :)
nevon

Post by nevon »

Codiak wrote:Oh sorry about that, could it be the fullscreen setting that is causing it to crash?
That would be my guess. Either way, you should remove the setmode call and instead enter the appropriate values into conf.lua.
ninwa
Party member

Post by ninwa »

Ran fine on my 1.3single core laptop, no discernible bugs, but I didn't play for very long at all. I will take a closer look when I get to work later today and check out the source code. I absolutely love the original geometry wars. Are you looking for any developers to help with the project?
Codiak
Prole

Post by Codiak »

ninwa wrote:Are you looking for any developers to help with the project?
Interesting thought. I have still to decide whether to take it further although I have written notes on what can be added. If you are interested in helping though then that's good motivation for me.
arquivista
No longer with us

Post by arquivista »

Works fine in dual core 2.93 Mac. Didn't saw anything wrong in gameplay but game is a bit too hard at the start with no stoping waves of mobs. Maybe less enemy ships at the beginning? Needs for sure a step to step difficulty increasing and also some hp indicator. Fullscreen option is annoying.
--------------------------------------------------------
To Do: Insert Signature Here
--------------------------------------------------------
Codiak
Prole

Post by Codiak »

Ok I could make it so that you first face one ship, then two, then three and then the max of four. There is a difficulty change, if you keep destroying the blue ships you will come across tougher green ships and then red ships. There is a hp bar but maybe you're saying a number would be better? I think having a fullscreen toggle would be best.