Distributing your games (making a .love file)

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
User avatar
pgimeno
Party member
Posts: 1557
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:58 pm

Re: Distributing your games (making a .love file)

Post by pgimeno » Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:50 pm

In fact it's not the only application that uses such a trick. odf, jar, epub, and others are renamed zipfiles too.

User avatar
HaftSwimmingly
Prole
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:13 am

Re: Distributing your games (making a .love file)

Post by HaftSwimmingly » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:39 pm

When browsing through the forums, I've come come across some old exporter that exports .love files to Flash files. However, It seems development has since stopped and does not work with 0.10.0 (or 0.10.1).

Any chance of a resurgence?
tomaki on IRC

User avatar
Positive07
Party member
Posts: 1005
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:34 pm
Location: Argentina

Re: Distributing your games (making a .love file)

Post by Positive07 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:16 am

for i, person in ipairs(everybody) do
[tab]if not person.obey then person:setObey(true) end
end
love.system.openURL(Github.com/Positive07)

User avatar
HaftSwimmingly
Prole
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:13 am

Re: Distributing your games (making a .love file)

Post by HaftSwimmingly » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:11 pm

Those are really cool projects. I'm not against HTML5, but the converter I was talking about could convert .love files to .swf. That way, I would be able to post these games on other sites, or use them on my own.

Anything like that for LOVE currently?
tomaki on IRC

User avatar
zorg
Party member
Posts: 2554
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:55 pm
Location: Absurdistan, Hungary
Contact:

Re: Distributing your games (making a .love file)

Post by zorg » Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:41 pm

HaftSwimmingly wrote:Those are really cool projects. I'm not against HTML5, but the converter I was talking about could convert .love files to .swf. That way, I would be able to post these games on other sites, or use them on my own.

Anything like that for LOVE currently?
Technically, you're not using them on your own, you're relying on a flash player being installed (and not blocked) on websites and/or on your computer. It's no different from relying on the js port that LöveFiddle uses for net, or for löve proper, if you want them to run on any computer (or handheld), offline.

Positive07 meant this, probably, that not many people would be helped out with a flash version. Especially if they plan to download it and not play in the browser anyway.

You can post your .love files anywhere. Or check out the game distribution page on the wiki.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.

User avatar
Positive07
Party member
Posts: 1005
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:34 pm
Location: Argentina

Re: Distributing your games (making a .love file)

Post by Positive07 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:25 pm

My browser won't run Flash by default starting on September or maybe December... Edge doesn't either... If I had to download an installer or a Flash game I would choose the installer. Native LÖVE will always be faster (Note that if I release an .exe, an .app an .apk and a .love which I can generate with some of the existing executable generators here in the forums, most people wouldn't need to install LÖVE itself, just download and play).

If I had to choose between a Flash game which would be played in the browser or a JavaScript game which is player in the browser I would go with JavaScript. As I said above and in the links I posted, Flash won't be supported anymore sometime SOON, JS will always be available. Flash is not available in mobile, JS is...

The code I need to write would be the same, there is no added benefit if I had to compare Flash against native or the JS port, in fact there are those downsides I talked about.
for i, person in ipairs(everybody) do
[tab]if not person.obey then person:setObey(true) end
end
love.system.openURL(Github.com/Positive07)

Mariscal
Prole
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:51 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Distributing your games (making a .love file)

Post by Mariscal » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:05 pm

So I did my first .exe today following the steps you mentioned in this thread, all working fine and good, but just realized I can simply open the .exe file in win rar and see all the files inside, code, data and everything. Does that mean anybody who gets the game can change the code?
Currently working on Breaking Fast, a competitive 2D "mario kart alike" racing game! Already passed steam greenlight, hopefully soon to be released! :D

User avatar
tio
Citizen
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:04 pm
Location: BR BR?
Contact:

Re: Distributing your games (making a .love file)

Post by tio » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:14 am

Mariscal wrote:So I did my first .exe today following the steps you mentioned in this thread, all working fine and good, but just realized I can simply open the .exe file in win rar and see all the files inside, code, data and everything. Does that mean anybody who gets the game can change the code?
Well... Yes.

It's always possible to encrypt your game (despite initialization code should be decrypted so LÖVE can run it). You can also make LÖVE load encrypted files by changing its source code.

User avatar
Positive07
Party member
Posts: 1005
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:34 pm
Location: Argentina

Re: Distributing your games (making a .love file)

Post by Positive07 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:18 am

Yes everyone can see inside of it, open it, change it or whatever... No one will probably ever will... Why?
  • First because most likely no one knows that your game is packaged that way
  • Second because probably no one cares enough to open it
  • Third because if you intend to sell you need to protect yourself with a License file so that if someone opened and stole your code you could
  • protect yourself with help of lawyers
  • Fourth because even without opening the file they can still replicate your game by playing it and understanding the concept
  • Fifth because most apps can be opened this way or a similar way but no one really does this because of the third statement here
  • Six because if someone likes your game they will support you regardless
for i, person in ipairs(everybody) do
[tab]if not person.obey then person:setObey(true) end
end
love.system.openURL(Github.com/Positive07)

User avatar
tio
Citizen
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:04 pm
Location: BR BR?
Contact:

Re: Distributing your games (making a .love file)

Post by tio » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:00 am

Positive07 wrote:Yes everyone can see inside of it, open it, change it or whatever... No one will probably ever will... Why?
  • First because most likely no one knows that your game is packaged that way
  • Second because probably no one cares enough to open it
  • Third because if you intend to sell you need to protect yourself with a License file so that if someone opened and stole your code you could
  • protect yourself with help of lawyers
  • Fourth because even without opening the file they can still replicate your game by playing it and understanding the concept
  • Fifth because most apps can be opened this way or a similar way but no one really does this because of the third statement here
  • Six because if someone likes your game they will support you regardless
Last argument is too much optimistic IMO.
Anyway, any effort to hide your assets will (likely) be in vain because either:
[*]If people want to crack your game, people will find a way to do (no matter how).
[*]If people don't care enough to do this, you don't need this protection at all.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 83 guests