Graph Editor For Love2D.

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Nicholas Scott
Prole

Re: Graph Editor For Love2D.

Post by Nicholas Scott »

Positive07 wrote:Also don't expect an explosion of interest
I never said I expected an explosion of interest, I was merely posting a discussion for a project I had in mind that I wished to pursue and get feedback from the community and see if there was enough interest in it for me to actually post it here, because if no one even likes the idea of visualized scripting then it's pointless to post it. But the thread quickly exploded into a "prove" this "show how this get's represented", which quickly got old. I have been working on this in my spare time, and have actually decided to shoot for a C++ program rather than using Love2D for personal reasons. But you are correct, if I don't feel like posting it, well I won't post it. Thanks for your input.
Nicholas Scott
Prole

Post by Nicholas Scott »

pgimeno wrote:Maybe when I see the program I posted in the format that you foresee
Got somethin comin your way my friend, hope it helps, uno momento senor.
Nicholas Scott
Prole

Post by Nicholas Scott »

pgimeno wrote:Maybe when I see the program I posted in the format that you foresee
Here, does this look good to you.
This is the main entry of the file ProgramEntryPoint is the global scope, called when the file is loaded.
Function DoBlock is your do end statement to protect variable scopes.
Function love.draw is overwriting the default love.draw function.
Here, another! xD Wtf, Im high
This is your DoBlock function
I'm sure you can get it, if not ask a question. Do you want me to show you how I'd represent love.draw? Eh, fuck it, I'll work on it too shall I.
Edit:
Here's the love.draw func
Last edited by Nicholas Scott on Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nicholas Scott
Prole

Post by Nicholas Scott »

I would like to formally apologize to Positive07 as I was quite rude with my wording earlier, most of the rudeness was not intended but came across as rude, it may have insulted others on the forum, pgimeno in particular, my sincere apologies.
Positive07
Party member

Post by Positive07 »

Don't worry that much, what I meant to say is that you have to show something in order to get traction, people here in the forum had gotten used to projects that promise a lot but never deliver...

I think that is not your case, yet we couldn't see how this would scale, I like your new examples, I think I uderstand how you intend to represent most of the Lua syntax, I still wonder about more complex features like metatables and such.

This looks cool, I think you have to get used to it in order to improve speed in development, not so different to coding I guess.

I see high usability in modding and that kind of stuff, even if you don't implement all of the Lua syntax

Keep it up! And post it, I'm sure that when you do that you'll see at least some interest (the LÖVE community isn't that huge, there aren't many experienced developers that would use complex libraries... even then this tool could help beginners!)
for i, person in ipairs(everybody) do
[tab]if not person.obey then person:setObey(true) end
end
love.system.openURL(github.com/pablomayobre)
Nicholas Scott
Prole

Post by Nicholas Scott »

Positive07 wrote:I like your new examples, I think I uderstand how you intend to represent most of the Lua syntax
Well thank you, also my plan is to make it generally modular, as in the entire basis is there, as well as much of the Lua syntax as possible, then allow the ability to have plugins for various things, so I can build the addon nodes data for all of love2d, then if someone wanted to use it for something else, say gmod.. idk.. they could build the addon for gmod, etc.
I'm basically gonna try my best to keep it modular and not locked down to one thing(Except lua)
pgimeno
Party member

Post by pgimeno »

Thanks for the mockups. I now understand how some concepts are implemented, but I still see issues on several aspects. For example, I don't see any distinction between locals and globals in your mockup, and it's not clear what the scope of each variable is.

It seems you don't welcome discussion on the issues, though, so good luck with the project. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.
Nicholas Scott
Prole

Post by Nicholas Scott »

pgimeno wrote:For example, I don't see any distinction between locals and globals in your mockup, and it's not clear what the scope of each variable is. It seems you don't welcome discussion on the issues
A few things, first this "It seems you don't welcome discussion on the issues" seems like some hardcore tom-dickery, and quite rude, but I digress. What my plan for scopes of variables will be something like "Variable Assignment" which will basically be a single node that has an exec line on it, and under the properties for that node, it will have options like "Local", "Name", etc. and the systems context menu(The menu used to spawn nodes) will detect whether it is in scope of the current workspace, if so it displays it, and not otherwise. So quick example would be, if you create a local variable assignment under the main FileEntryPoint, it will be available to all functions that are within the FileEntryPoint scope. If you create a local variable assignment under a function labeled love.update(), it would be available to all sub functions created inside of that love.update() aswell as the love.update() itself, however you woudln't be able to access it via FileEntryPoint... You can understand the point given