Ninwa's Love Puzzle - (my latest game!)

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
ninwa
Party member

Re: Ninwa's Love Puzzle - (my latest game!)

Post by ninwa »

thelinx wrote: Also, I noticed a bug where if you try to spawn a node on top of another node, box2d makes LÖVE die. Not nice.
This is (arguably) a limitation of Box2D's rectangle shape. If they're too small they throw an exception and crash Love. I can't really do anything about this at the moment except not allow the player to put a node there (which I plan to add when I get home tonight.)
Thursdaybloom wrote:I understand what you're trying to achieve with the world revists. How about, as an alternative to level repetition, you have the location of where the next square is going to be visualised on the current level that you're on? This way we try and create our platforms to get the ball in the square at hand yet we have the foresight of knowing where the next square will be. This means we not only have to try make the ball stop in the square, we have to craft it in such a way that will help with the next level. I think node deletion needs to be implemented in some way (imagine level 12 without any node deleting...) but this is another issue.
Nevon wrote:Maybe, to make it a little more difficult, without being an annoyance, you could have a maximum of 10 nodes - and when you add an eleventh, the first one is automatically removed?
I think these are both really good ideas. I'm going to implement them tonight and give a little shout-out cred at the bottom of the intro :o)

Thank you everybody for checking this out.

Ninwa
Last edited by ninwa on Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ninwa
Party member

Post by ninwa »

Fixed minor bugs. Will be pushing a bigger update tonight with node decay (leaving only 10 nodes) and displaying the next levels goal.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

thelinx wrote:To solve the randomness issue, add this to your love.load:

Code: Select all

math.randomseed(os.time())
math.random() -- the first random number is usually the same even across different seeds
math.random() -- for good measure
Also, I noticed a bug where if you try to spawn a node on top of another node, box2d makes LÖVE die. Not nice.
I do it three times just for extra good measure.
ninwa
Party member

Post by ninwa »

Made the suggested changes but can't upload here since the source is on my home computer and I forgot to upload it last night before I passed out (d'oh).

Quick screenshot just showing people it is possible to get pretty far (on the current version):

But is it fun? Not really. I have a few tweaks in mind (like showing dim lines for where your line is going to be drawn before clicking) but I realize that takes all of the challenge out of the game. Then I realized that, if my only challenge is fighting with the controls of the game, and not the game itself, you've mad a bad game. Hey, sometimes it happens. Consider the project abandoned. If you want to take the source and do anything you want with it, please feel free. It's a hack job.