2D reflection on water

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
Ducktor Cid
Prole

2D reflection on water

Post by Ducktor Cid »

I'm trying to make a 2D reflection on water in my kind of luftrausers clone

My main problem is currently that the reflection comes off the water, as shown in this image

Here's my code for the reflection:

Code: Select all

playerClone.Position=Vector2.new(player.entity.Position.x, (2*water.Position.y-player.entity.Position.y)-50) --50 being the size of the image
playerClone.Rotation=-player.entity.Rotation
I'm not sure how to make it so the reflection doesn't clip. I tried using love.graphics.setScissor() but it seems to affect all of the graphic objects.

Does anyone know how I can do this?
yang
Prole

Re: 2D reflection on water

Post by yang »

If the water is just confined to a rectangle, then love.graphics.setScissor() is your best bet.

What you want to do is enable scissor only when drawing the reflection, and disable it immediately after the reflection's been drawn by calling love.graphics.setScissor() with no arguments, so that no other objects will be affected.
Ducktor Cid
Prole

Post by Ducktor Cid »

I'm using a camera system by blackbulletIV and I've noticed that scissor seems to not work correctly. (I go to the spot where the reflection should be, it isn't there but as I go away, I can start to see the reflection appear)

Is there any way to fix this, or do you know of any camera system that works with setScissor?
Davidobot
Party member

Post by Davidobot »

Any camera library should work with setScissor. Make sure you're using your world coordinates for the scissor and remember to unset them after you're done.
PM me on here or elsewhere if you'd like to discuss porting your game to Nintendo Switch via mazette!
personal page and a raycaster
Ducktor Cid
Prole

Post by Ducktor Cid »

I decided to use a stencil since I couldn't get scissor to work. Thanks for the help anyway!