Music like in Nintendo games

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
dewgstrom
Prole

Re: Music like in Nintendo games

Post by dewgstrom »

Oh, that's awesome! Had no idea that was something coming up. I was having a lot of fun with MilkyTracker and was a little disappointed with how bare-bones my playback controls were in L2D, so that's great news. :D
MasterLee
Party member

Post by MasterLee »

Fast Tracker 2 is on of the most widespread formats and many players exist
You can find Javascript code for playing it at:
https://www.a1k0n.net/code/jsxm/
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

dewgstrom wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:44 pm Oh, that's awesome! Had no idea that was something coming up. I was having a lot of fun with MilkyTracker and was a little disappointed with how bare-bones my playback controls were in L2D, so that's great news. :D
Don't misunderstand me though; löve will only include sound recording and audio queueing in the next version (and a few other things); that doesn't mean that it'll give you more controls over tracker modules you may have loaded into Source or SoundData objects (or Decoders).
For that, you have to write your own module loaders and replayers, and that's work you may not want to do. :3
MasterLee wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:02 pm Fast Tracker 2 is on of the most widespread formats and many players exist
You can find Javascript code for playing it at:
https://www.a1k0n.net/code/jsxm/
The blog post for that is worth a read actually!
https://www.a1k0n.net/2015/11/09/javasc ... layer.html
Though he says it too, "it isn’t complete effects-wise", so if anyone's gonna implement a tracker in Löve, for example, they shouldn't use a(n incomplete) js engine as a reference; you can afford to look at more sources that are actually striving for 100% correct playback, and have small buffer sizes and less latency.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
MasterLee
Party member

Post by MasterLee »

I actually thought it would be easier to start with something coded in an higher language. I read the source of some other trackers and many of them have large parts of code written assembly. One of the most interesting tracker players for sure was Deli Player for some formats it used emulation to use the original Amiga playback routine on IMB-PC. However that is also an way. On the other hand why do 100% correct emulation of an old format? Why not integrate own idears? Why not build something similar?
Oh i forgot about the source for an PixiTracker Player is also available
http://www.warmplace.ru/soft/pixilang/
raidho36
Party member

Post by raidho36 »

You do 100 % emulation of an old format so it would play tunes in that format correctly.
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

You can integrate your own ideas, but for the sake of future people,
1. don't call your modified format the same (extension), or
2. if you don't think you modified it enough to warrant a new filetype, then AT LEAST make the change consistently detectable.

This is why mod files are hard as hell to correctly play back, the format's been edited to shreds, and you can't guess what module file expects what quirks that a tracker may have had.

I'm making my own composer program, even if it can support importing old tracker formats, i'll sure as heck won't allow saving in those formats; i'll have my own.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
raidho36
Party member

Post by raidho36 »

15_hundred_competing_standards.jpg

Just make user select tracker in beforehand and only allow features from that tracker for editing.
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

(And it's a ridiculous notion for one person or group to actually know and or intuit all possible use-cases for anything)

But yeah, thing is, that's hard to code right if one plans to support more than one... it's even hard with one format, if others before have butchered it; you could just ignore the bugs in those that weren't the first iteration, but again, for mod files, it's sadly not a possibility.

Like, even if OpenMPT touts itself as a tracker with very correct replayers, it still has room for improvement.
MasterLee
Party member

Post by MasterLee »

zorg wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:11 am Like, even if OpenMPT touts itself as a tracker with very correct replayers, it still has room for improvement.
They fixed many thinks but now they need a compatible mode for old songs made with it
https://wiki.openmpt.org/Manual:_Compatible_Playback
But that is not important for game music. Simply made an routine that plays the music you need for that game any maybe an editor is enough in my opinion.
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

MasterLee wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:05 pm
zorg wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:11 am Like, even if OpenMPT touts itself as a tracker with very correct replayers, it still has room for improvement.
They fixed many thinks but now they need a compatible mode for old songs made with it
https://wiki.openmpt.org/Manual:_Compatible_Playback
But that is not important for game music. Simply made an routine that plays the music you need for that game any maybe an editor is enough in my opinion.
If you're making a custom thing for a game, then sure, you code it however you want to. We don't even need to talk about this if the ingame music is stream-based like mp3/pgg/wav files; But if you're using an already existing notational format, you should hope to be a dear and not implement it in a way that would make it literally incompatible with everything else in existence that actually play back the format without errors.

It's a case of "everyone's stupid, and only i'm a helicopter" mental-viewpoint, and people tend to dislike those people. :3