Official Discord server

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Inny
Party member

Re: Official Discord server

Post by Inny »

There's a bot you can use to bridge comments between IRC and discord here, and I'm sure there are others. That would help limit the community fragmentation. Back when xmpp was a thing 9 hundred years ago, I remember being in a MUC and an irc channel that had a bridge between the two.
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

Inny wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:43 pmThough that bot wasn't smart enough to know you were in both places and your own text would be echoed. I would hope this discord bot is smart enough not to do that.
Since we're talking about connecting public channels, you can't really do that; you do need to copy all user text that gets posted in both places, since even if some users may be in both places, that doesn't mean you don't need to echo their text, the point is for -others- to see their text.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
Inny
Party member

Post by Inny »

zorg wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:45 pmSince we're talking about connecting public channels, you can't really do that; you do need to copy all user text that gets posted in both places, since even if some users may be in both places, that doesn't mean you don't need to echo their text, the point is for -others- to see their text.
Two minutes after I said that I thought about it and realized my error, and though "Oh, nobody needs to see that, lets just erase it." Guess I've been called out :P
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

Inny wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:40 pm Two minutes after I said that I thought about it and realized my error, and though "Oh, nobody needs to see that, lets just erase it." Guess I've been called out :P
Heh, looks like i managed to nab that before you fixed it, but after you updated your message, since i posted mine after the fact; hence no "edited" line in your post. :3
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
IndieRetro
Citizen

Post by IndieRetro »

Hey, haven't logged in for a while but I've been active on the IRC channel for many years now (previously Shorefire/siO, now 'exezin')

Just wanted to voice my opinion on what's going on.

The idea of linking IRC to the Discord channel is incredibly stupid, IRC has existed forever, these third party chat platforms pop up left and right. I'm not happy about having Discord unwillingly shoved down my throat and having my messages piped through it via a bot.

Not to mention the chaos it introduces to the IRC channel.

So, after many many years on the channel I am leaving, I'll come back if this "feature" is removed. Personally I think its just stupid forcing something like this on the community.
irc.freenode.org ##oodnet
http://exez.in/
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

The love Discord server has ~6 channels in it right now. Only one has an IRC bridge, and that's its specific purpose. The only Discord messages relayed to IRC are those from people who intentionally do so, so there's no spam from unrelated Discord chat.

It's a way to prevent the community from being split too much, and it helps people using love in the IRC channel get more active eyes on the questions they ask.
raidho36
Party member

Post by raidho36 »

So it only relays messages between IRC and #IRC channel? While there's a separate #support channel? Sounds like a very bad idea.
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

IndieRetro wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:49 pm ...
What Chaos?

The only difference between people being on the irc server and people on the löve discord server's irc room (which exists so the discord-only people can converse with the irc-only people) is that messages will be bounced by the bot (both ways) with the appropriate nicknames prepended.

I don't see why this is that big of an issue, to be honest, and even if you're adamant, no one's forcing you to anything; you can always /ignore the bot. (along with raidho : 3)
raidho36 wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:39 pm So it only relays messages between IRC and #IRC channel? While there's a separate #support channel? Sounds like a very bad idea.
The irc channel's not just support, it's kind of a mixed bag.
IndieRetro
Citizen

Post by IndieRetro »

slime wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:01 pm The love Discord server has ~6 channels in it right now. Only one has an IRC bridge, and that's its specific purpose. The only Discord messages relayed to IRC are those from people who intentionally do so, so there's no spam from unrelated Discord chat.

It's a way to prevent the community from being split too much, and it helps people using love in the IRC channel get more active eyes on the questions they ask.
That wasn't my issue, my issue is that all of the IRC messages (so obviously mine included) are piped through the bot and sent to the Discord channel, that's unwillingly.

That's forcing it down our throats, why not simply have the bot relay messages that are sent to it? I don't want everything I'm saying broadcasted to those on the Discord channel, I cant see who's there, I can't see what they might be saying about it. I don't like it.

Why can't this be optional?
irc.freenode.org ##oodnet
http://exez.in/
raidho36
Party member

Post by raidho36 »

Because then people wouldn't use it, and that defeats the purpose.

And also, it's bidirectional. You will see what is said in discord channel.