Try out my course: Lua Programming and Game Development with LÖVE

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Kyzerole
Prole

Try out my course: Lua Programming and Game Development with LÖVE

Post by Kyzerole »

I recently published this course to Udemy.com that teaches everything you need to know about programming with Lua and using LOVE (Love2D). The course starts off by teaching the basics of programming (using Lua), and then goes on to create three different games using LOVE. I always say that Lua is an excellent language to start with if you haven't programmed before. But, even if you have, the walkthrough of making games with LOVE will be valuable to any developer who wants to pick up the engine.

I worked very hard to get this completed, and now I'm eager to see what people think! You can view the landing page with this link:

https://www.udemy.com/lua-love/?couponCode=LOVE2DLAUNCH

Using that link will give you the best possible discount - I mainly just want to get the word out there about how good Lua and LOVE are for making games, and I'm hoping this course will do just that. There are more than 5 hours of video lectures, and all of the game assets are provided for you. The first several lectures are available without enrolling, so take a look through those and see if it's something you'd be interested in. Also, there's a 30 money-back guarantee, so you're free to return it if it turns out it's not for you. Here's a comprehensive list of all of the topics that are discussed in this course:

Game development topics:

- Making a playable character
- Keyboard and mouse input
- Drawing graphics
- Enemies
- Collisions
- Timers
- Randomness
- RGB Color Scheme
- Physics
- Animations
- Utilizing open-source software
- Tiled
- Camera
- Keeping score
- Saving data

Programming related topics:

- Variables
- Conditional Statements
- Loops
- Functions
- Comments
- Local vs Global
- Tables

Be sure to check out the course description and curriculum on Udemy to see all the details. If you don't use the link above to view the course, you can find it on Udemy and apply the coupon code "LOVE2DLAUNCH" for the same discount. If you have any questions be sure to message me!
shru
Prole

Re: Try out my course: Lua Programming and Game Development with LÖVE

Post by shru »

Nice, thanks for making this! I'll definitely point anyone who I know who is curious about Love2d in your direction.

Putting myself in the shoes of someone who doesn't already know Love2d quite well, something I'd be interested in seeing amongst the "free sample videos" is a lesson more towards the middle or end of the series, just so that I could get a feel for how you explain more technical topics. The six sample videos you have up right now did leave a good impression on me. However, they all cover fairly simple and straightforward material, so as a prospective student it didn't give me a great idea of how you as a teacher approach explaining something more complex.
itchtwittergithub
weitnow
Prole

Post by weitnow »

Nice...i just purchased it and will start with the course today :)

edit: Your course looks good, question: will there be a more advanced course in the future? game with more complex game-logic, more oop-technics, entity-system etc?
Last edited by weitnow on Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:33 am, edited 3 times in total.
MasterLee
Party member

Post by MasterLee »

I am missing State machines, Probability, AI, Unit design, Production & Tech tree construction, Game balance and Game design.
CaptainMaelstrom
Party member

Post by CaptainMaelstrom »

MasterLee wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:23 am I am missing State machines, Probability, AI, Unit design, Production & Tech tree construction, Game balance and Game design.
Umm, what do you mean? It seems to be a beginner's course in game development. Not game design. Also, the topics you listed I would argue are not beginner topics, but intermediate/advanced.

Kyzerole -- This looks great! I have people ask me how to get started with game dev on occasion. What you have created looks like a fantastic place to start!