LÖVE3D

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
shakesoda
Citizen

Re: LÖVE3D

Post by shakesoda »

I finally published some basic and up-to-date demos here: https://github.com/excessive/love3d-demos (and this is where demos will reside from now on).

The first three are basic (forward) rendering, deferred and skeletal animation.

Again, for clarification, love3d is maintained, but I don't intend to add anything new until at least 0.11 (if it gets depth formats for textures). (I have been asked about this multiple times)
excessive ❤ moé (LÖVE3D, CPML, ...). holo on IRC.
Mutos
Prole

Post by Mutos »

Hi shakesoda, hi all,

A few days ago, I downloaded LÖVE2D and began learning it. With only so little time, I was able to do a few things and, further, it proved scalable and easier to learn than everything I've yet used...

So I sought if the LÖVE devs were thinking about adding 3D and found LÖVE3D...

For now, my status with LÖVE 0.10.2 on Linux (Ubuntu 16.04 LTS) is the following :
- love3d-demos-master works like a charm by just typing "love ." in the folder, but I can't rename the .zip to .love and launch it directly,
- iqe-master and vmgjun I just can't get to work.

So I would like to know in which state is this project and where it's headed... I've read some of the posts, but not all the thread because lack of time. Iv' understood it was but a side-project not officially endorsed by the LÖVE team, and there were posts about dispute over whether or not to go the 3D way.

Thanks for any details ^-^
Benoît 'Mutos' Robin
Hoshikaze 2250, Sci-Fi universe in collaborative writing
Karai17
Party member

Post by Karai17 »

iqe has been superceded by iqm, you should look into that instead. If you want some working examples of love3d, check out our gamejam entries on itch.io or github.

LOVE3D is a side project of mine and shakesoda's and not an official project of LOVE. LOVE's API will not be adopting any official 3Disms, but LOVE3D works just fine as a module, so no worries there.
STI - An awesome Tiled library
LÖVE3D - A 3D library for LÖVE 0.10+

Dev Blog | GitHub | excessive ❤ moé
Mutos
Prole

Post by Mutos »

Hi karai17,

Thanks for the information ! For me it has to work under Linux and Windows, as I switch daily between these OSes.

I'll look at LÖVE3D once I have mastered enough the 2D part. My plan is first to display a 2D real-size stellar system in 2D top-down, then reuse the same data to display it in 3D.
Benoît 'Mutos' Robin
Hoshikaze 2250, Sci-Fi universe in collaborative writing
Karai17
Party member

Post by Karai17 »

I run Linux primarily and holo runs Windows primarily, LOVE3D works completely fine on both.

xNick1
Party member

Post by xNick1 »

Awesome piece of work guys.
It's nice to have such brilliant people in the community.
Keep it up ^_^
Tst_
Prole

Post by Tst_ »

How are you handling textures for the models, from looking at the demo cthulhu model it looks like you've embedded the image into the IQM file its self since I can't find the texture anywhere else. I'm using the Blender tools supplied in the IQM v2 dev kit. The model shows up correctly in Noesis only if the texture is in the same directory as the model but once it's imported into Love it's pure white, is there prep work I need to do to apply the texture in Love that I've missed?
Karai17
Party member

Post by Karai17 »

The IQM only has a material name embedded in it, not a material or texture itself. That is handled by shaders. Check the render.lua system

HeadClot
Prole

Post by HeadClot »

Hey got a request for Love 3D - Mainly for the tooling side of stuff.

Would it be possible to get a UDMF based .WAD loader for Love 3D? So we can leverage existing level editors such as SLADE3 or GZDoomBuilder for example.

If I posted this in the wrong place please let me know.
Karai17
Party member

Post by Karai17 »

love3d is general purpose. For a UDMF loader, you probably just want to leverage love's API and then write a renderer that uses love3d.