[Game] The Lord of candy

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
alberto_lara
Party member

[Game] The Lord of candy

Post by alberto_lara »

Hey guys, this is a small NES-style game we're making, the first version is ready for "release", please let me know what do you think. Btw, this game will help our project "The Lord of the Bits" (where we talk about games, books, science and stuff) to grow a little so, sorry for the spam feeling.

The gameplay is quite straightforward, just play around.
the_lord_of_candy.love
(8.93 MiB) Downloaded 301 times
windows portable:
the_lord_of_candy.zip
(11.79 MiB) Downloaded 143 times
Last edited by alberto_lara on Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grump
Party member

Re: [Game] The Lord of candy

Post by grump »

Nice. Took me a while to figure out what I had to do. It's a pretty frustrating game :)

Have you considered using the "nearest" FilterMode instead of the default "linear"? I think the graphics would benefit from the crisper look.
alberto_lara
Party member

Post by alberto_lara »

the intention was to release this for Android, then for desktop, that's why I left that filter since there's no way to get pixel perfect scaling on every Android screen (using nearest filtering). But you're right, since this one is not for phones, we could use that filter with no problems :)
davisdude
Party member

Post by davisdude »

I like it! Simple mechanic, but still fun. My one suggestion would be a way to "cancel" a throw, by right clicking, for instance. Also, the zero gravity power-up actually makes it WAY harder later in the game. All the balls just float into the thing, causing you to lose unless you focus on keeping balls out of the goal.

It would also be nice to be able to view high scores from the start screen. Also, I'm not sure if this is intentional or not, but it seems like if the high score you got was better than the previous high score, that score gets erased instead of getting bumped down; scores only seem to be added if you do worse than your best score.

The best I got was 44 :)
GitHub | MLib - Math and shape intersections library | Walt - Animation library | Brady - Camera library with parallax scrolling | Vim-love-docs - Help files and syntax coloring for Vim
alberto_lara
Party member

Post by alberto_lara »

You're right about the logic in the highscores, I missed that. About the zero gravity, that can make it harder, yes, but it can help you in some situations (e.g. a small candy is stucked under other "big" candies). About the throw canceling, that's also feasible!
Pebsie
Party member

Post by Pebsie »

This is super fun!!
Twitter: @Pebsiee http://twitter.com/pebsiee
Steam: pebsie
alberto_lara
Party member

Post by alberto_lara »

glad you like it!