Building Lȍve (and dependancies) on a budget

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
Pixelguru26
Prole

Building Lȍve (and dependancies) on a budget

Post by Pixelguru26 »

So I'm hoping to build a sort of hacked hybrid c++/Lua game engine out of Lȍve for a really graphics heavy project, in order to cut down on the lag when rendering simple tiles and because I like c++ more than Lua some days.
Now, the official tutorials recommend/require a standard installation of MSVS Enterprise 2013, but all I have is community 2017, which apparently has some differences - namely, as I ran into while trying to compile the dependencies, it does not define "Environment variable VSCOMNTOOLS" anymore, which the makefile depends on-? (don't quote me on this, I code but I'm completely lost when it comes to makefiles and dependencies :P)
I've searched the web multiple times with multiple queries, but there seem to be very few posts about manually compiling lȍve for when the initial make fails, so I have 2 questions:
#1. Is it even possible to build the dependencies with VS community 2017? Do I have to write in some code of my own? If so, is there a tutorial/post on it, or any advice?
#2. Is there a step-by-step (preferably video) tutorial on compiling the source somewhere, excluding the official one?
Thank you!
erasio
Party member

Re: Building Lȍve (and dependancies) on a budget

Post by erasio »

I've run into a similar issue when trying to replace one of the modules.

According to slime or Bartbes it is possible. But not at all recommendable (though I do not recall the reasoning for this).

I ended up downloading vs2013 (any version will do and it's freely available).

Which I would recommend to you too.

No issues with building according to the official docs. Went easy as pie.

(though keep in mind that c++ to lua communication isn't trivial. So keep the c++ part to modules and complete systems ideally)

You can also write c libraries and include them dynamically from lua without touching the source via require.
Pixelguru26
Prole

Post by Pixelguru26 »

Alrighty. I was not aware 2013 was freely available; that helps a ton, thank you! I'll try it and see if that works better.

As for c++ to lua communication, I am aware; I've built a few small projects in c++ using lua integration, which is part of why I'm building a hybrid Löve - even building basic rendering integration from scratch would be a nightmare.

EDIT:
Forgot to mention, thank you for answering so soon; I was expecting this to take days and really hold up development of the project.
Last edited by Pixelguru26 on Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
erasio
Party member

Post by erasio »

Just for clarity. I know there are free versions.

But I'm fairly sure not all of them are free (equivalent to community edition iirc).

Gl & hf buddy!