BrawlQuest BETA

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
KayleMaster
Party member

Re: [MMORPG] BrawlQuest - ALPHA HALLOWEEN EVENT

Post by KayleMaster »

Hey, I dunno if you changed it already, but you might wanna make it so your healthbar (and your allies) is green so you can distinguish yourself from an enemy.
Pebsie
Party member

Post by Pebsie »

KayleMaster wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:14 pm Hey, I dunno if you changed it already, but you might wanna make it so your healthbar (and your allies) is green so you can distinguish yourself from an enemy.
That's something I'd completely overlooked! Great idea, though, will change that.

After the demo event I'll be doing a full appraisal of the UI to look for stuff like that.
Twitter: @Pebsiee http://twitter.com/pebsiee
Steam: pebsie
Pebsie
Party member

Post by Pebsie »

New version of the Prototype client is UP!
Changelog & Download
KayleMaster
Party member

Post by KayleMaster »

This is obviously stuff you know, but just in case:
  • I tried to click the password box to type in it, but found out that wasn't the case
  • The item equip action only happens after you move.
  • I really wanna drag & drop that sword.
  • I didn't find a way to use my potion. I expect at least right clicking on it to work.
  • I hope you're not keeping the arrow keys as a fighting mechanism.
  • There's a sword that says requires level 15 and is worth 500 gold, but I don't see my level/xp anywhere, nor do I see any merchants.
  • Maybe make it so you move 2 tiles on the path, because I don't see a reason going on it otherwise than being an indicator to POI.
  • I can go out of view when fighting, I expected to "flee" out of battle, or just don't let me go off view.
  • What's the yellow bar for? (ah, it's for stamina)
  • Why is the sky as a background around the world border? I'd make it either black or just tile it with mountains/water whatever.
  • Out of all my battles 8/10 were with that giant boss thingy, instead of wolves and boars (?)
Pebsie
Party member

Post by Pebsie »

Hey man! Thanks for playing :awesome:
I'll address your stuff one by one.
KayleMaster wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:37 am
  • I tried to click the password box to type in it, but found out that wasn't the case
  • The item equip action only happens after you move.
  • I didn't find a way to use my potion. I expect at least right clicking on it to work.
All stuff I'm aware of. All of that is fixed in the current build (that'll be used for the alpha event tomorrow!)
  • I hope you're not keeping the arrow keys as a fighting mechanism.
Afraid so. The keys will be rebind-able but having one hand on one set of keys and another hand on the other is the way you play! I will be adding controller support so that might be a bit more comfortable.
  • There's a sword that says requires level 15 and is worth 500 gold, but I don't see my level/xp anywhere, nor do I see any merchants.
That isn't a level requirement, it's the item's level. Max level is 10 and beyond that dungeons give ilvl 11 gear and raids give ilvl 12 gear. The reason that piece is so high is because it's Tier 1's legendary armour and so the idea is that it'll also be usable in Tier 2 when the level cap is increased. I'll change "level" to "item level" to make that a bit more obvious.
  • Maybe make it so you move 2 tiles on the path, because I don't see a reason going on it otherwise than being an indicator to POI.
You can't get into battles when on the path (which again isn't communicated very effectively in this early version).
  • I can go out of view when fighting, I expected to "flee" out of battle, or just don't let me go off view.
Another thing that's fixed in the updated version that'll be released tomorrow!
  • Why is the sky as a background around the world border? I'd make it either black or just tile it with mountains/water whatever.
It originally extended whichever tile was at one end but I didn't like the effect so I changed it to the clouds. I feel as though it gives it an otherworldly impression, might just be me though ;)
  • Out of all my battles 8/10 were with that giant boss thingy, instead of wolves and boars (?)
The giant dragon thing is actually error prevention! When the server starts a random encounter but can't fight the script for the fight that should take place it starts that fight instead as a little Easter egg. Because everything was extensively designed before I started coding anything at all the world has 41 encounters all in their correct place, so you'll only encounter Boars in territories labeled The Great Plains and the Wolves at Hunter's Forest and Forgotten Forest (which is south of Riverbridge). There are only 3 fights scripted because I'm making sure the gameplay works first before adding in tons of content and I decided that having 3 different fights was enough for now.
KayleMaster
Party member

Post by KayleMaster »

Nice to see you've got all of these addressed. Good job!
Pebsie
Party member

Post by Pebsie »

KayleMaster wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:38 am Nice to see you've got all of these addressed. Good job!
Thanks!

Just a heads up, the Halloween Alpha event will be starting at 6pm GMT tomorrow!
KayleMaster
Party member

Re: [MMORPG] BrawlQuest - Alpha starts tomorrow!

Post by KayleMaster »

I tried... I really did.

First of all, I couldn't find the game's website brawlquest.com (now I know it). I tried going to peb.si and clicking brawl quest from there, but nah, no link to the website. Tried googling, but naah. Then I saw you linked a prototype from this thread and that's how I found it.
I saw that you register just by taking a name that isn't used.
I did not know what client to use, so I just used the latest prototype.
After typing my username and password, only thing that changed is logging in in the bottom left. It sat there forever.
Pressing x/c zooms in and out of the game in the login screen.

As you can see my attention span for this was kinda big. In fact I still had it, but it was just impossible to play the game.

I don't see how a regular player would decide to try and join your mmo, I really don't.
Pebsie
Party member

Post by Pebsie »

KayleMaster wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:18 pm I tried... I really did.

First of all, I couldn't find the game's website brawlquest.com (now I know it). I tried going to peb.si and clicking brawl quest from there, but nah, no link to the website. Tried googling, but naah. Then I saw you linked a prototype from this thread and that's how I found it.
I saw that you register just by taking a name that isn't used.
I did not know what client to use, so I just used the latest prototype.
After typing my username and password, only thing that changed is logging in in the bottom left. It sat there forever.
Pressing x/c zooms in and out of the game in the login screen.

As you can see my attention span for this was kinda big. In fact I still had it, but it was just impossible to play the game.

I don't see how a regular player would decide to try and join your mmo, I really don't.
Hey man!
Thanks for trying it out again.
The demo has been delayed (again, I know, just final testing) until tomorrow, there's a post about it up on the website.

As for your struggles, a game of this scale can not be coded in 3 months in a way that makes it easy for all users to play. The purpose of having a Prototype and now an Alpha event isn't to say "Hey here's a full release of the game with every feature ready to play!" it's to say "Hey here's a shell of what the game will be a year from now so we can test whether the idea actually works!"

Sorry that you had these troubles but I'm not sure you've understood the purpose of these events. I hope you enjoy when it comes out tomorrow :)

EDIT
I've updated the navbar on the website to communicate this a bit more effectively.
KayleMaster
Party member

Post by KayleMaster »

The demo has been delayed (again, I know, just final testing) until tomorrow, there's a post about it up on the website.

No, there's not. The latest post is about the changes for the registration (31 october), it doesn't mention anything about when you'll be able to play.

The last post about the event says:
On the 31st of October until the 2nd of November our first alpha will be live and ready to play!
So, do you have another website or am I missing something? Also, what navbar?
EDIT: Maybe you've enabled caching on your website?