emitor - Particle system editor

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
grump
Party member

emitor - Particle system editor

Post by grump »

Editor for LÖVE particle systems that allows real time editing of all particle system parameters.

Includes free (MIT) code to load its save format (pfx). It also exports particle systems as Lua code + PNG if you prefer that. Example code that shows how to load particle systems is included, both for saved and exported particle systems.

Quick usage tip: Clicking and dragging left/right on number edit controls (those with the triangles on the sides) quickly changes their value. You can also click on numbers and edit them manually.
I'm sorry for the shitty color picker. I hate it too.

Runs on Windows + Linux, 32 or 64 bit OS.

Attachments
emitor-0.3.zip
(984.59 KiB) Downloaded 609 times
Last edited by grump on Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SiENcE
Party member

Re: emitor - Particle system editor

Post by SiENcE »

Looks nice, you loading texture or pfx always results in a crash.

I really want to use it as it's better to handle than https://github.com/mkdxdx/APE

The editor code is obfuscated, why fixing is not possible :-/.
grump
Party member

Post by grump »

SiENcE wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:47 pm Looks nice, you loading texture or pfx always results in a crash.
I need more details, because I can't reproduce this.
The editor code is obfuscated, why fixing is not possible :-/.
Legal reasons. It's based on a closed source framework I wrote for a client.
SiENcE
Party member

Post by SiENcE »

The problem is, i can't tell you more. Everytime i try to load an pfx (bad fileextension naming btw. ) or an texture file (i assume all load operations fail) the editor gots stuck and crashes.

Is there a logging integrated i can share you?
grump wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:24 am Legal reasons. It's based on a closed source framework I wrote for a client.
Can you not at least share the code thats not framework code? I would use it, but without being able to improve it, it's too risky because of bugs or maintainance.
Nixola
Inner party member

Post by Nixola »

SiENcE wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:50 am The problem is, i can't tell you more.
Well, you could start by stating what OS it is and maybe running it from a terminal to see if it prints anything...
By the way, if I try to browse ~ while opening a file, emitor segfaults. Manjaro Linux, 64 bit.
I tried to load a texture, then save to a pfx file, then close and reopen emitor and load the pfx file and that works, so I can't reproduce SiENcE's bug either.
lf = love.filesystem
ls = love.sound
la = love.audio
lp = love.physics
lt = love.thread
li = love.image
lg = love.graphics
grump
Party member

Post by grump »

SiENcE wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:50 am The problem is, i can't tell you more. Everytime i try to load an pfx (bad fileextension naming btw. ) or an texture file (i assume all load operations fail) the editor gots stuck and crashes.
1. How is that bad naming? it's just coincidentally the same as some arcane MS stuff I've never even seen before. I don't give a shit.

2. If "it gets stuck and crashes" is all you have, I can't do anything. Sorry. I need at least an error message, or if there is none, a detailled step-by-step explanation what you're doing and what exactly happens. Even telling me what OS version and what architecture you're using would be a helpful start.
Is there a logging integrated i can share you?
Nope.
Can you not at least share the code thats not framework code?
Way too much work. And risky for me too from a legal perspective.
grump
Party member

Post by grump »

Nixola wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:03 amBy the way, if I try to browse ~ while opening a file, emitor segfaults. Manjaro Linux, 64 bit.
Do you mean just going to "/home/nixola" (for example) in any file selector makes it segfault? Sounds like there is something in there it can't properly process. Could be a permission problem.
Nixola
Inner party member

Post by Nixola »

It looks like the issue is with broken symlinks; having one of those in the current directory makes it crash.
Also, please do not double post. You can edit your last post if you notice you forgot something.
lf = love.filesystem
ls = love.sound
la = love.audio
lp = love.physics
lt = love.thread
li = love.image
lg = love.graphics
SiENcE
Party member

Post by SiENcE »

1. How is that bad naming? it's just coincidentally the same as some arcane MS stuff I've never even seen before. I don't give a shit.
No, no arcance MS stuff sorry. Here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PKCS_12 ... it's common pki stuff :).

Code: Select all

Shaders: true
Canvases: true
Canvas Support: true
MultiCanvas limit:  8
CanvasMsaa limit:  8
Npot: true
MaxImageSize: 8192
maxMonitors 1
Processor Cores: 4

Name: OpenGL
Version: 4.0.0 - Build 9.18.10.3272
Vendor: Intel
Device: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4400
I need at least an error message, or if there is none, a detailled step-by-step explanation what you're doing and what exactly happens.
There is no line of debug or logging output in the console.

Step by Step is what i explained.

Start Editor.

Got to Files->Load->choose examples folder->click->choose fire.pfx (or any other)-> click Load => crash or segfault

Attached a screen. I tried to debug in with VisualStudio to see something more, but it's an unhandled exception.
Attachments
output.png
output.png (150.24 KiB) Viewed 11452 times
grump
Party member

Post by grump »

Nixola wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:37 am It looks like the issue is with broken symlinks; having one of those in the current directory makes it crash.
That's easy to fix, thanks.
Also, please do not double post. You can edit your last post if you notice you forgot something.
I did not forget something. Discussing two separate things with two separate people justifies two separate replies. It's also a pain in the ass to properly quote otherwise, especially when posting from mobile.