What gives with character support in L2D? [SOLVED]

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
hasen
Party member

Re: What gives with character support in L2D? [SOLVED]

Post by hasen »

zorg wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:58 pm Then again, i'd probably not play a game that used some bog default font, ideographs or not, unless it used such a font for meta reasons (overused example being comic sans in undertale), but a game using arial or whatever to me seems like it's not even trying to have its own character; like what you'd expect from a prototype.
Fonts aren't quite as sparse as you think. http://iosfonts.com/ And as for Chinese, I would never play a game where the text is all questions marks! You may not play a game because you can spot the Tahoma font from 50 paces but I think you'll find most people can't notice or don't care or are more interested in the pretty graphics, the gameplay etc. Especially if it's only used in the instructions or the credits which nobody cares about anyway, they just scan it quickly so they know how to play the game.

I think I'd be more bothered about download time time in China than having my credits page have a unique font that takes up 13 MB.
zorg wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:58 pm MS Mincho is probably similar in terms of one expecting just a bit less generic font in a game, and there are other fonts available with ideographs. (that are useable in games free/open/commercial/whatever AND can be redistributed)

As for the filesize, since phones nowadays do have a relatively large space, even if only with sd cards or whatever, it still comes down to a tradeoff between wanting less of a filesize to your game, or having a more unique font.
Its also about download time. The Apple store is pretty slow in China and so downloading a large app can be a dealbreaker. If it get's stuck then people just give up on it and try another one. There's so much competition.

It's also the principle that your three Chinese fonts are literally 40 times bigger than the rest of the game. When people are clearing out apps because they're low on memory they tend to delete ones that are nearer 100MB and keep the ones that are 10-20 or less. But it depends on how much the care about the app/game of course too.

Also something that people seem to be missing even though it's the size of baseball pitch right now is that its's a choice...if you don't want to use it or whatever your reasons are then just use the built in font/attach your own fonts or whatever. For those who want to support Asian languages or use the system fonts in places where the size doesn't matter..or indeed when a system font just happens to look better.
raidho36
Party member

Post by raidho36 »

To reiterate. It's not a question of whether system fonts will look differently across OSes or not. It's a question of whether your game will display legible characters or question marks for unicode text.
hasen
Party member

Post by hasen »

raidho36 wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:55 pm To reiterate. It's not a question of whether system fonts will look differently across OSes or not. It's a question of whether your game will display legible characters or question marks for unicode text.
Yes good point.