Bump in the Night

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
hasen
Party member

Re: Bump in the Night

Post by hasen »

I tried the latest version to have a look and once starting the game after just a few seconds it said out of memory. This is on my iMac.
joedono
Prole

Post by joedono »

hasen wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:13 am I tried the latest version to have a look and once starting the game after just a few seconds it said out of memory. This is on my iMac.
Ouch! Sorry to hear that. The game is not optimized at all. It loads all the resources it will need for any scenario right now, so there will be a lot of unused sound effects in memory no matter which scenario you pick. The Arsonist scenario also has some memory issues since each fire has its own light in the shader engine. That can amount to a lot of extra lights to process. Even my gaming rig from last year experiences a frame rate drop there.
hasen
Party member

Post by hasen »

joedono wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:56 pm
hasen wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:13 am I tried the latest version to have a look and once starting the game after just a few seconds it said out of memory. This is on my iMac.
Ouch! Sorry to hear that. The game is not optimized at all. It loads all the resources it will need for any scenario right now, so there will be a lot of unused sound effects in memory no matter which scenario you pick. The Arsonist scenario also has some memory issues since each fire has its own light in the shader engine. That can amount to a lot of extra lights to process. Even my gaming rig from last year experiences a frame rate drop there.
No problem, I just wanted to let you know in case it was something you weren't aware of. :)
joedono
Prole

Post by joedono »

Ghost scenario v2. Upon playing through my first attempt at this scenario a couple times, I realized that it was VERY boring. Having a stealth game where you have to sit still and wait a long time gets really boring really fast. This new scenario is much more active and demands a lot more from the player if they want to stay alive.

desman
Prole

Post by desman »

This is probably the best game I ever tried on love2d forum, reminding me of Metal Gear Solid on PSX.
BTW, the problem with this game is it won't work well with 1366x768 monitor.
joedono
Prole

Post by joedono »

No recording this time, but I learned just enough about GLSL and Love shaders to google and find the wobbly rainbow effect I wanted to use for when the aliens (the next scenario I'm working on) mess with your head and reverse your controls. I also sat down and brainstormed what the aliens' behavior should be. I'm giving them ray guns that will track the player through the pathfinding. The point is to make sure the player has to make at least 2 turns to avoid the ray gun, which will be all the more difficult when their controls are reversed.
joedono
Prole

Post by joedono »

Hit a bit of a designers-block with the alien scenario mechanic, but I finally got it figured out. New version is up.