What's everyone working on? (tigsource inspired)

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
drunken_munki
Party member

Re: What's everyone working on? (tigsource inspired)

Post by drunken_munki »

Been working on the 'Steamworks' API and a Lua library for it, hit a brick wall with the 'callback' system that Volvo use for most of the functionality.

Apparently there might have been some progress in the ffi side of things, where you can register a c callback to trigger a Lua function, but I couldn't understand any of it; decided to put this down for now.

So then I installed Visual Studio and got my hands dirty.

Been learning me some c++ (finally?), managed to make a command line application that links to the API and I've implemented tools to create workshop items and upload files/data etc.

I've also made a 'mod manager' tool as a LOVE project that sends requests to this command line tool to publish mods, un-subscribe / etc and it provides a visual interface to managing mods. Might seem a little clunky for now but at least it works. Maybe I should have just gone all the way and done it all in c++, who knows.

Is this kind of command line util useful for anyone, should I share this with a user guide? Or perhaps just a cheat-sheet on using the Steamworks API in c++?.

So far I have a win64 binary, but can look into sharing the source (might be tricky though since the steam stuff is under NDA).

Ta.
Tjakka5
Party member

Post by Tjakka5 »

Working on remaking Lovox with Positive07 using the new 11.2 features.
So far we're setting up the vertices in a mesh using FFI structs, and we also got depth testing working.
gA1s9VX.gif
gA1s9VX.gif (543.27 KiB) Viewed 17179 times
EDIT: Oh and if anybody is interested, the source code can be found here!
Nelvin
Party member

Post by Nelvin »

Working on a city builder ... and having a shitload load of fun doing so ...

promogif-farm.gif
promogif-farm.gif (14.24 MiB) Viewed 17036 times
Astorek86
Prole

Post by Astorek86 »

Spent a few hours to program some kind of a "Menu-Engine", that works with Mouse and Keyboard:

The Game using this Menu does not exist at the moment, but I'm working on it^^.
MissDanish
Citizen

Post by MissDanish »

SirRanjid wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:27 pm
MissDanish wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:26 am I added water puddles that only spawn when it's raining, also working on a new part of the city called the Neon Light District
[...]
Nice progress. I'd suggest you add some fake ambient occlusion. Maybe store depth information along with each tile and run a shader on top.
That does looks nice but I am not that familiar with shaders, whenever I do get more familiar with shaders I might look into doing that but it's not a priority right now
Duck Duckinson
Prole

Post by Duck Duckinson »

Working on my github site.
On Löve2D, I was building the basic game mechanics for my future games. I'm building using the Entity-Component-System but I'm new on gamedev and it's taking some time for me to get used to it.
Also, I was studying Krita since I'll need some Game Art. I already am a pretty decent user of Inkscape.
Next step: Study LMMS to make my game music (I know s *** about music).
D0NM
Party member

Post by D0NM »

Sup guys and gals!

Now testing Rick's offensive special attack.
Our LÖVE Gamedev blog Zabuyaki (an open source retro beat 'em up game). Twitter: @Zabuyaki.
:joker: LÖVE & Lua Video Lessons in Russian / Видео уроки по LÖVE и Lua :joker:
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

how did this get here im not good with computer

It's quite simple right now. Well it's complex, but it's simple. A lot doesn't work. The menus are for show. The buttons on the titlebars are not functional. There's no app system. The file system is simple, but it is physical right now. But what you see in the "folder" view is just a list of the folders at the "root" of the fake hard drive.

Taking inspiration from classic Mac OS System 7. Originally I had a minimize system but it didn't work right so I made it window shade instead. I might implement a Windows 3.1 style minimize feature though where windows minimize to icons. (No status bar. Just icons on the desktop) I also need to put a working drag and drop file system. (Though Löve doesn't have a way to move a file, does it?)

I just want to make it as close to the original as I can just for the hell of it. But who knows if I'll just drop it. Whatever.

Edit: And here's what it looks like today. lol

I call it CarrotOS. And I threw that little tiny logo together in 5 seconds and I kind of love it. Looks like a carrot to me. lol Will need a bigger carrot for the splash screen though... wait, I already drew one years ago. Now where in my Löve projects folder can it be...
MadByte
Party member

Post by MadByte »

Finally made some progress with in-game and editor UI element variations for my Space Taxi remake!
Also had time to improve and clean up some sprites. Next art tasks: Clean up and the first (default) tileset.
41 - SfgYAxn - Space Taxi!.png
41 - SfgYAxn - Space Taxi!.png (13.08 KiB) Viewed 1018 times
Last edited by MadByte on Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Alexar
Party member

Post by Alexar »

usermap.gif
usermap.gif (610.28 KiB) Viewed 15680 times
reg.gif
reg.gif (873.57 KiB) Viewed 15680 times
classic.gif
classic.gif (759.54 KiB) Viewed 15680 times