Black Screen when Dropping .love on Love2D

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
DrawnOutBeats
Prole

Black Screen when Dropping .love on Love2D

Post by DrawnOutBeats »

Hello! I followed this video on Youtube to make a simple Hello World code, and typed exactly what was in the video, which was

function love.load()

end

function love.draw()
love.graphics.print("Hello World")
end

In the same video, the code seemed to work, while on my computer, it only shows a black screen.
Here is a link to the video: [youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUiz1kL0QtI[/youtube]

I am not sure what is missing, as I am a complete beginner to this, and plan to learn in order to develop 3DS homebrew, using the LovePotion framework.

Thank you in advance!
Last edited by DrawnOutBeats on Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
steVeRoll
Party member

Re: Black Screen when Dropping .love on Love2D

Post by steVeRoll »

Are you sure that this code is written in a file called main.lua, and that file is in the root of the .love you dropped?
DrawnOutBeats
Prole

Post by DrawnOutBeats »

steVeRoll wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:07 pm Are you sure that this code is written in a file called main.lua, and that file is in the root of the .love you dropped?
Yes I am 100% sure of both things. Still showing a black screen. My main suspicion is that my computer is slow or something.
pgimeno
Party member

Post by pgimeno »

Does the no game screen work for you?

I suspect you're having this issue: viewtopic.php?t=85309

Just in case, try a rectangle. Instead of the love.graphics.print line, try love.graphics.rectangle("fill", 10, 10, 100, 100)

Is your graphics card an old Radeon? If so, it's apparently a problem in the driver.
DrawnOutBeats
Prole

Post by DrawnOutBeats »

....Yup. its an old Radeon. Is there anything I can do to fix this issue? Or am I gonna have to take apart my laptop to replace the GPU?
pgimeno
Party member

Post by pgimeno »

Looks like the rectangle did work? Maybe look for newer drivers, then.
DrawnOutBeats
Prole

Post by DrawnOutBeats »

pgimeno wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:33 am Looks like the rectangle did work? Maybe look for newer drivers, then.
I looked into that, and apparently I have the newest driver. I think my best plan of action is to run the program on my 3ds each time i add text somewhere, using the Lovepotion program, in order to debug it.
0x72
Citizen

Post by 0x72 »

If your goal is to have just some debugging info maybe you could use https://love2d.org/wiki/love.graphics.newImageFont ? I believe it'd work, although not 100% sure.