[11.3] AdMob support for Android + EU Consent

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
janglee
Prole

Re: [0.10.2] AdMob support for Android!

Post by janglee »

Hi bro , just head to qustion how can i change app icon ?

Thanks.
Marty
Citizen

Post by Marty »

janglee wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:29 pm Hi bro , just head to qustion how can i change app icon ?

Thanks.
You can find the app icons for Android in app/src/main/res. There are directories for each resolution. You need to place your app icon in different resolutions there. The mipmap versions aren't necessary, though.
Visual Studio Code TemplateRichLÖVE Mobile (AdMob+UnityAds+PlayGamesServices+GameCenter)Add me on Discord

───▄▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▄───
───█▒▒░░░░░░░░░▒▒█───
────█░░░░░░░░░█────
▄▄──█░░░▀█▀░░░█──▄▄
█░░█▀▄░░░░░░░▄▀█░░█
raidho36
Party member

Post by raidho36 »

Not exactly on topic but I'm too curious.

Can anyone share their profit figures off ads, and how it fares compared to other monetization methods? I heard it's pittance compared to IAPs, but I'd rather take someone's first hand accounts than vague rumors.
master both
Party member

Post by master both »

raidho36 wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:56 pm Not exactly on topic but I'm too curious.

Can anyone share their profit figures off ads, and how it fares compared to other monetization methods? I heard it's pittance compared to IAPs, but I'd rather take someone's first hand accounts than vague rumors.
Since I would've liked to read this when I started out using ads, I will share some of my experience. I currently have an endless runner installed on 3000 devices, from which I play an intertitial ad every 5 deaths, generating from 0.10 to 2.00 USD a day, sometimes it peaks at 4 USD on one day. I've made a total of 23 USD last month with a CPM ranging from 1 to 5 USD.
Nelvin
Party member

Post by Nelvin »

master both wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:40 pm Since I would've liked to read this when I started out using ads, I will share some of my experience. I currently have an endless runner installed on 3000 devices, from which I play an intertitial ad every 5 deaths, generating from 0.10 to 2.00 USD a day, sometimes it peaks at 4 USD on one day. I've made a total of 23 USD last month with a CPM ranging from 1 to 5 USD.
Would you mind sharing a link to your game?
master both
Party member

Post by master both »

Nelvin wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:51 pm
master both wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:40 pm Since I would've liked to read this when I started out using ads, I will share some of my experience. I currently have an endless runner installed on 3000 devices, from which I play an intertitial ad every 5 deaths, generating from 0.10 to 2.00 USD a day, sometimes it peaks at 4 USD on one day. I've made a total of 23 USD last month with a CPM ranging from 1 to 5 USD.
Would you mind sharing a link to your game?
I wish I could :P, it was called "Hop Skip & Jump", but it got taken down last week because apparently, I need to configure my ads to show kid friendly content. I'm trying to resolve this problem as quickly as I can, but it isn't as simple as pressing a button. I will post a link here when I can.
Marty
Citizen

Post by Marty »

hey,

after all that time, the issue is still not solved?
modiX wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:36 pm RewardAds seems to work when I use the official test IDs from Google. However, when I configure my own reward ad IDs in the AdMob dashboard and declare my test device ID properly, it won't load. Logcat reports:
I/Ads: No fill from ad server.
W/Ads: Failed to load ad: 3
D/AdActivity: onRewardedVideoAdFailedToLoad: Error 3
I was checking many help threads like https://stackoverflow.com/questions/335 ... -load-ad-3 but no solution helped. I tested the whole thing on Galaxy S3 and Galaxy S6.

Did you ever used the Android reward ads in a serious manner?
Also there is another issue when the device has soft buttons (see the attachments). I start the game with config window.fullscreen = true. Below, you can see that the banner is right above the soft buttons, but those soft buttons will hide, automatically, because this is fullscreen mode, so I end up with space between the banner and the bottom. You probably tested it only on a device with hard buttons, you did not?
Attachments
8E49D169-0E19-447F-9CD7-79FB78FBC0CB.jpeg
8E49D169-0E19-447F-9CD7-79FB78FBC0CB.jpeg (536.84 KiB) Viewed 18356 times
F74F04A3-ECAF-4D79-926C-2F0C1EFFA979.jpeg
F74F04A3-ECAF-4D79-926C-2F0C1EFFA979.jpeg (502.88 KiB) Viewed 18356 times
Visual Studio Code TemplateRichLÖVE Mobile (AdMob+UnityAds+PlayGamesServices+GameCenter)Add me on Discord

───▄▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▄───
───█▒▒░░░░░░░░░▒▒█───
────█░░░░░░░░░█────
▄▄──█░░░▀█▀░░░█──▄▄
█░░█▀▄░░░░░░░▄▀█░░█
bio1712
Citizen

Post by bio1712 »

modiX wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:37 am hey,

after all that time, the issue is still not solved?
modiX wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:36 pm RewardAds seems to work when I use the official test IDs from Google. However, when I configure my own reward ad IDs in the AdMob dashboard and declare my test device ID properly, it won't load. Logcat reports:
I/Ads: No fill from ad server.
W/Ads: Failed to load ad: 3
D/AdActivity: onRewardedVideoAdFailedToLoad: Error 3
I was checking many help threads like https://stackoverflow.com/questions/335 ... -load-ad-3 but no solution helped. I tested the whole thing on Galaxy S3 and Galaxy S6.

Did you ever used the Android reward ads in a serious manner?
Hi, sorry for the late reply.
I've been experiencing that issue both on Android and iOS. To solve it, I had to link my app on the AdMob page, after the release, and then I started to receive the ads.
This happens since they started to use real ads with a test label on it as test ads.
I know that you may not believe me, but this is it.
You can try with an app you have already published and linked with your AdMob account, you'll see that test ads will appear.
I have also tried to use an Ad ID of an app already published in a new app, and it still gives the no-fill error.
I think that they check that the bundle identifier is the bundle identifier of an app already in the store.
To show you that they work for me, here is an image of the ads both in portrait and landscape modes:

Anyway, I understand you and your questions, because, in my opinion, test ads should be used before the release of the app.
Maybe, we have to use their test ID until the release of the app. Even in this case, I think the documentation should be more precise.
modiX wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:37 am Also there is another issue when the device has soft buttons (see the attachments). I start the game with config window.fullscreen = true. Below, you can see that the banner is right above the soft buttons, but those soft buttons will hide, automatically, because this is fullscreen mode, so I end up with space between the banner and the bottom. You probably tested it only on a device with hard buttons, you did not?
I've tested it on a device with software buttons, but I don't use the fullscreen option.
Have you tried to create the banner after the buttons have disappeared?
Marty
Citizen

Post by Marty »

bio1712 wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:47 am Hi, sorry for the late reply.
I've been experiencing that issue both on Android and iOS. To solve it, I had to link my app on the AdMob page, after the release, and then I started to receive the ads.
This happens since they started to use real ads with a test label on it as test ads.
I know that you may not believe me, but this is it.
You can try with an app you have already published and linked with your AdMob account, you'll see that test ads will appear.
I have also tried to use an Ad ID of an app already published in a new app, and it still gives the no-fill error.
I think that they check that the bundle identifier is the bundle identifier of an app already in the store.

[...]

Anyway, I understand you and your questions, because, in my opinion, test ads should be used before the release of the app.
Maybe, we have to use their test ID until the release of the app. Even in this case, I think the documentation should be more precise.
Hi bio, thanks for your reply. Why would I not trust you? :) It's nice to hear that it will work after publish at least. Yes, the documentations on Google's side are absolutely unclear, because banners seem to work, just not reward ads. We will have a proper closed beta phase of my game, so there will be no risk when trying things out. I will report my results back to you, asap. The game is still in development.

bio1712 wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:47 am I've tested it on a device with software buttons, but I don't use the fullscreen option.
Have you tried to create the banner after the buttons have disappeared?
If you don't use fullscreen mode, you won't spot the issue, because fullscreen mode will not hide the software buttons. I tried to call love.ads.createBanner after 10 seconds of the game as well as love.ads.showBanner after 15 seconds. I made no inputs in that time, the software buttons were hidden after the first 2 seconds, however, the banner is still misplaced.

The reason for this issue is that the metrics variable contains the wrong values. After trying a lot of things I found a way to fix this issue for SDK version >= 17 using Display.getRealSize(). Prior SDK version 17 there are ways using reflection. I have some code, but I'm unable to test it, because I don't have any devices that run below 17.

I have two more questions:
1. Is there any way to contact you off the forums in an interactive way? I.e. Discord, WhatsApp, Facebook, Skype, any other chat? (PM if you want)
2. Are you planning to pull the upstream to make your port work with 11.1? This question is also addressed to your iOS port.

Thank you!

───▄▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▄───
───█▒▒░░░░░░░░░▒▒█───
────█░░░░░░░░░█────
▄▄──█░░░▀█▀░░░█──▄▄
█░░█▀▄░░░░░░░▄▀█░░█
bio1712
Citizen

Post by bio1712 »

modiX wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:50 pm I will report my results back to you, asap
That will be really cool :)
modiX wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:50 pm The reason for this issue is that the metrics variable contains the wrong values. After trying a lot of things I found a way to fix this issue for SDK version >= 17 using Display.getRealSize().
Great, I'm glad that the solution is pretty simple :)
modiX wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:50 pm Prior SDK version 17 there are ways using reflection. I have some code, but I'm unable to test it, because I don't have any devices that run below 17.
I think we can ignore that, because the targetSdkVersion must be >= 28.

modiX wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:50 pm 1. Is there any way to contact you off the forums in an interactive way? I.e. Discord, WhatsApp, Facebook, Skype, any other chat? (PM if you want)
We can use PMs, I'll try to answer faster.
modiX wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:50 pm 2. Are you planning to pull the upstream to make your port work with 11.1? This question is also addressed to your iOS port.
I don't think so, because (as you may have noticed) I don't have much time, and because, in my opinion, the update 11.1 doesn't bring so much innovations.
If there will be a new LOVE update with big improvements (such as HTTPS support), I will update the repo.

Finally, thank you for your interest :)