Best way to bitmap font?

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
newobj
Prole

Best way to bitmap font?

Post by newobj »

Hi,

I've tried using a variety of bmfont generators on Mac and Windows and they all seem to give me a variety of problems.

BM Font on Windows -- can't seem to get it to save color/alpha information properly. Font renders as white blur over black background with no compositing.

bmGlyph on Mac -- font looks fine but kerning is totally whack if you change the size of the font.

Glyph Designer on Mac -- seems fine but not free.

I was surprised to see that the default settings for Angelcode's BM Font don't do anywhere near the right thing in Love2d, in fact no amount of tinkering with the settings seems to get me a usable bmfont.

How do people bitmap font for Love2d with great success?
newobj
Prole

Re: Best way to bitmap font?

Post by newobj »

BTW I'm also aware of FONTGen (a love based tool), but, no disrespect to the author, the stroke is very poor and the text looks bad, in spite of everything else working seamlessly.
grump
Party member

Post by grump »

newobj wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:41 am BTW I'm also aware of FONTGen (a love based tool), but, no disrespect to the author, the stroke is very poor and the text looks bad, in spite of everything else working seamlessly.
Can you give some details what you want to do, maybe post the font you want to use.
crystal
Prole

Post by crystal »

newobj wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:22 am BM Font on Windows -- can't seem to get it to save color/alpha information properly. Font renders as white blur over black background with no compositing.

BM Font generates aditional file .fnt which holds all info about characters like position ,width, spacing etc..
unfortunately love2d doesnt have any built-in libraries to read them

to get alpha properly you need to conf. these export options:
Bit Depth: 32, Textures:PNG, Presets: *with alpha