Tower Climb

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Con_Quister
Prole

Re: Tower Climb

Post by Con_Quister »

I think its a pretty solid platformer. The physics are frustrating but feels fair when paired with the level design and overall challenge. kind of like how an old nes game would feel like. I like the music it definitely evokes an nes feel too.
[MEATBAG DETECTED!!! ]
|___
(O O) ! ------------> (._.)
/(__)\
-/---\--
-----------
-----
milkbomb11
Prole

Post by milkbomb11 »

Con_Quister wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:16 pm I think its a pretty solid platformer. The physics are frustrating but feels fair when paired with the level design and overall challenge. kind of like how an old nes game would feel like. I like the music it definitely evokes an nes feel too.
Thanks! :D
milon
Party member

Post by milon »

Fun game. :)

I'd appreciate a Pause button (space bar?) since it tracks time. I tried hitting ESC during gameplay to pause the game, and found myself back at the main menu. Is that intentional?

A height counter of some kind would be nice to track player progress. Are all towers the same height?

I didn't peek into the code, but I assume you're using predefined "chunks" of tower that get randomly stitched together, yes? It certainly seemed that way to me, and I only played it for maybe 5 minutes. (Got my first win in 90 seconds, then came here to post.)
Any code samples/ideas by me should be considered Public Domain (no attribution needed) license unless otherwise stated.
milkbomb11
Prole

Post by milkbomb11 »

milon wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:51 pm Fun game. :)

I'd appreciate a Pause button (space bar?) since it tracks time. I tried hitting ESC during gameplay to pause the game, and found myself back at the main menu. Is that intentional?

A height counter of some kind would be nice to track player progress. Are all towers the same height?

I didn't peek into the code, but I assume you're using predefined "chunks" of tower that get randomly stitched together, yes? It certainly seemed that way to me, and I only played it for maybe 5 minutes. (Got my first win in 90 seconds, then came here to post.)
The ESC button was intentional(Just wanted a way for the player to stop playing the game)
And yes the tower is generated by stacking fifteen chunks together which are each selected randomly from a table containing 10 predefined chunks

P.S: 90 seconds is really fast considering that's your first win.. congratulation!
milon
Party member

Post by milon »

Thanks! :)

If you can, I suggest creating more random components to build the tower from. It started to feel a bit "canned" after a few minutes - although that might just be me since I'm really interested in procedural generation and I'm getting good at spotting it. ;)
Any code samples/ideas by me should be considered Public Domain (no attribution needed) license unless otherwise stated.
monolifed
Party member

Post by monolifed »

you can also add zones with different gravity/friction