A Love2D puzzle game - free keys

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
AndyDuff
Prole

A Love2D puzzle game - free keys

Post by AndyDuff »

Hi all,

I've developed a puzzle game, Push Blox, using Love2D. As a coder (brought up on BASIC, and using Fortran and Java in my day job) I found it super easy to get my game up and running. That is a sizable up-shot of Love2D, and has allowed me to get my game up and running on Android, iOS, PC and Mac platforms:

https://lonelydeckchair.itch.io/push-blox

The limitations I have experienced so far are the lack of functionality for advertising and in-app purchases, so presently I have gone for the 'demo first', 'full game at full price'-model.

Anyway, I'd love to hear your thoughts on the game.My aim was to start the game simple, but gradually layer in more advanced concepts as the game progresses. By the end the game becomes quite complex, but hopefully in a logical way. I wonder though: How simple can a game afford to be, initially, to grab a player's attention? Are there dangers in appearing too simple, too trivial, and taking too long to reveal the true depths of a game?

See my comment lower down for free keys. - please leave a rating or review if you like it!!!
Also, its not explicitly mentioned in the game, but: BACKSPACE = undo

Cheers,
Andy Duff
Last edited by AndyDuff on Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
monkyyy
Citizen

Re: A Love2D puzzle game

Post by monkyyy »

Is it really a love game if you compile it and don't ship linux
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

monkyyy wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:40 am Is it really a love game if you compile it and don't ship linux
"I'm gonna tell him"
"Don't you dare"

By the way, % as the modulo operator exists in lua, you don't need to use math.fmod.
On the other hand, cheers for you being able to understand your one lua file codebase.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
AndyDuff
Prole

Post by AndyDuff »

Hi both, thanks for your replies! Sorry, I don't have a linux operating system so haven't managed to compile a Linux version yet, but that will be coming soon. Source-code's a bit of a mess, yes. I haven't applied the same level of rigour I apply when coding in my day job. Since its a hobby I kind of threw it together. How did you find the game iteslf?
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

Quite enjoyable! :3
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
AndyDuff
Prole

Post by AndyDuff »

Thanks a lot Zorg, and for forwarding your collection - there's some cool stuff there!
AndyDuff
Prole

Re: A Love2D puzzle game - free keys

Post by AndyDuff »

Last edited by AndyDuff on Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:08 am, edited 6 times in total.
monkyyy
Citizen

Post by monkyyy »

I took 2nd to last, tried to force steam proton run it; it took forever so i tried again assuming it crashed, then again, suddenly 3 copies poped up doing wierd shit to my wm and functionally locked my system. Launching only 1 and letting it do its slow thing works but it misbehaves blocking alttab and is fairly laggy.

If that isn't the emulation, the controls should get some work. But its vaguely playable on linux with proton.

I got to world 2; I've plaied games like this and paid 2 dollars for it, but generally they have more polish. Take for example https://store.steampowered.com/app/344480/Quell/ theres a level of game feel there, tiny animations on basic movement, sound effects that are super generic and probably creative commons but there.

I'm not sure if its from emulation, but moving has a delay that annoys me, there should be sound effects when blocks touch and other sorts of details
AndyDuff
Prole

Post by AndyDuff »

Hi Monkyy, thanks a lot for trying it! I think the glitchiness in control is due to the emulation - this isn't a problem with the other versions. Apologies that your experience was not up to scratch.
The 'polish' you are referring to I am in the process of adding now. I am adding new graphics, sounds, etc, which will be available in an upcoming free update.
I appreciate your frank comments by the way: this kind of info is extremely useful to me and I will act on it. I feel like pointing out however that most of my effort in this game was in the puzzle design. I'd greatly value any feedback on the puzzles if anyone manages to get past the end of world 2 and beyond (where the puzzles begin to come into their own I would say).
Astorek86
Prole

Post by Astorek86 »

I took the 4th one. I must confess I agree with monkyyy, it's quite slow, and I miss some kind of "Juicyness" in the Game. Another Example for "Juicyness": *Click*. Juicyness is kinda hard to explain: It means all kind of stuff for the Player to make them "feel good" for Playing the Game. Like, for example, little Animations or Particles on Movement, Sound-Effects on specific Situations (like, a Fanfare and some Screen-Effects after solving a Level), or such simple Stuff like reacting after Clicking a Button (for example, the Button plays a Sound and the Button-Texture fades out as long as the Player holds the Mousebutton).

I definitely do NOT want to demotivate you or something like that :) . I like those kind of Puzzle-Games and your Game looks, aside from Juicyness, very well done^^...