What should I call this adorable little platformer?

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Jasoco
Inner party member

What should I call this adorable little platformer?

Post by Jasoco »

Been working on this for a few hours...
Screen shot 2010-11-20 at 5.28.09 AM.PNG
Screen shot 2010-11-20 at 5.28.09 AM.PNG (13.36 KiB) Viewed 5106 times
I have no name for it yet. But I do have a sort of goal for what it will be.

Before you get all excited, it's not a free-roaming platformer. The player is restricted to tile-based movement for ease of coding.

I created it in the style of the original monochrome Gameboy for simplicity. And I hope to stick to that. It stays true to the 4 color palette and the original resolution (160x144 doubled). The font is based on the real thing.

I am especially proud of my simple yet functional player character, whom I haven't named yet. And the spikes with the blood on them.

I plan on making it full of traps and enemies as the game goes on. Plans include: Falling spikes (Already done!), spinning saws, conveyor belts to take you to the saws, crushing ceilings, crushing walls, collapsing floors, when time runs out the level will fall apart instead of just killing you.. When the spikes get ready to fall they shake first like they do in every other game with falling spikes. So cool.

I haven't decided whether I want to make it one big world with connected screens or level after level. I'm leaning towards making it one huge place. The goal right now is to make it to the exit for each room. But you can't fall more than 3 tiles. 4 or more and SPLAT! You dead!

The story will be a simple "Boy loves girl, girl gets kidnapped, boy must save her" fare.

I may add a secret "Game Boy Color" mode for when you beat the game where all the graphics will become colorized in the style of old GBC games just as a bonus. Graphics will stay simple, but be more colorful. Maybe a GBA sequel will follow with the play field being 240x160 instead.

I just need some classic Gameboy-style sounds and music.
GB.love
(23.82 KiB) Downloaded 365 times
bartbes
Sex machine

Re: What should I call this adorable little platformer?

Post by bartbes »

Epic. Though jumping is a little weird, I love the promise this project has.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Jumping is strange, but it's static. It only moves up one pixel while jumping and back down when done. I will improve it as time goes on. I hope to break it free from the tile-based movement at some point and put in some simplistic, but not extreme, platform features. I still want to keep it simple.

I also want to add in death animations and make him die many ways. Like indie games these days like to do. Limbo, Super Meat Boy, they all have many ways to die. I plan on making it count each time and each way you die too. Notice when you die, it says something different for each one. I love that.

I had to implement a slight pause when reaching an edge to make sure you had time to take you finger off the arrow key if you want to jump so you don't end up walking off the cliff. I hope to fix this by letting you start jumping if you're halfway across a tile. Should help there.
arquivista
No longer with us

Post by arquivista »

Lol Jasoco after my gameboy LOVE joke (http://love2d.org/forums/viewtopic.php? ... =10#p21156) and my redone graphics for ninwa project (http://love2d.org/forums/viewtopic.php? ... =20#p22458) it seems Love start to have a 8bit Nintendo trend! :)

Project seems great till now. However that kind of "horizontal" jumps seems a bit strange. :D

About the name I really not have great sugestions till now. "Jump or Splat!", "I lOVE to Jump" don't seem good enough.
--------------------------------------------------------
To Do: Insert Signature Here
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Very nice. I completely agree with bartbes' comment, including the jumping being uncomfortable. I'm hoping for more (difficult) levels. :)

EDIT: about the name, some slightly cheesy, retro-sounding name would fit perfectly, I think. ;)
Help us help you: attach a .love.
ninwa
Party member

Post by ninwa »

If you fall to your death right under the last spike and then the spike also hits you lose more than one life.

PS: Looks like this would be a lot of fun! Great work.
Ryne
Party member

Post by Ryne »

Awesome, cant wait to play the finished game :) As for a name, just use "ALP" for "Adorable Little Platformer". You could also try to incorporate some pun related to the Swiss Alps... I DON'T KNOW I'M TIRED OKAY!
@rynesaur
TechnoCat
Inner party member

Post by TechnoCat »

I love the level start transition. How did you do that?
arquivista
No longer with us

Post by arquivista »

TechnoCat wrote:I love the level start transition. How did you do that?
a) Was actually Harry Potter that made that.
b) The Know-How was revelead by an unicorn in Jasoco's dreams.
c) Jasoco spite of be awesome have even a more genious 8-bit alter-ego
d) TechnoCat is lazy and don't want to check the source-code! ;D
To Do: Insert Signature Here
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

I'm on my way to work, but before I go...

When you start the level, press X a bunch of times before you start moving for an unexpected increase in difficulty. (Debug)