[Love2d Android] Wrong scaling of images

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
bhgt
Prole

[Love2d Android] Wrong scaling of images

Post by bhgt »

I've been working with Love2d Android for some time now, and I've noticed that using a canvas for pixelated effect doesn't work according to the scale.
The attachment Screenshot_2019-09-22-10-42-17-767_org.love2d.android.png is no longer available
As shown in the attachement, the original character is of 16px height (for the character) but on rotating, each (image) pixel seems to be made of 4 (screen/canvas) pixels. I'm not sure if this is a problem with canvas, images, or Android, because even without a canvas, the low resolution images are displayed at higher scale than the actual resolution.
Screenshot_2019-09-22-10-42-17-767_org.love2d.android.png
Screenshot_2019-09-22-10-42-17-767_org.love2d.android.png (6.97 KiB) Viewed 2530 times
I tried checking the DPIScale of the image and it's 1.

I tried scaling the images to a scale of 0.5 and the pixels seem to be displayed correctly, somehow.

Is this scaling normal, or am I missing something?
Love2d+Android+Pixel Art = bhgt
pgimeno
Party member

Re: [Love2d Android] Wrong scaling of images

Post by pgimeno »

What version of LÖVE are you using?

Can you give more precise instructions to reproduce the problem? Preferably a short program demonstrating it.
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

It's just a hunch, but usually with this kind of issue, the culprit is usually the fact that while a canvas might indeed be low-resolution, but when the canvas itself gets rotated when it's drawn to the backbuffer (which i'm assuming is indeed of a higher resolution), the blockiness of the contents may not be preserved in some cases.

From the image, i'm guessing you're scaling the canvas first and then rotating (or maybe you're using such parameters with love.graphics.draw), for what i'm guessing you're after, you'd need to rotate first, then scale, to preserve blockiness, i think.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
AuahDark
Party member

Post by AuahDark »

LOVE Android operates on DPI-scale.
* When making new Canvas, Canvas expects the size to be DPI-scaled unless you pass {dpiscale=1} to the 3rd argument.
* When drawing image, the image is drawn in DPI-scaled units and not in pixels.
Profile. Do you encounter crashes in LÖVE Android and wanna send me logcats? Please hit me up in LÖVE Discord and send the full logcat file!