Resolutions! How to scale or whether fixed?

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
Nytician
Prole

Resolutions! How to scale or whether fixed?

Post by Nytician »

Good afternoon all! First time registering for the site but just want to say thanks for this awesome project, love it!! Started with Pico8 but grew tired of the limitations and Love2D is a great next step!

Making a sandbox survival game but main issue that gives me consistent nightmares is the maths around allowing the resolution to be scalable, and when I finally get it ‘right’ it looks poor with lines between the sprites or blurry etc (although in hindsight maybe this is to do with aspect ratio?).

Long story short, is fixed resolution an option as I don’t use scrolling maps so my map size would just look smaller and smaller on larger resolutions. Can I do a fake retro thing like have it 1024*768 and just make it bigger on larger screens (like pico8 style)?

Thanks for your help,

Kind regards, Nyt!

Edit: Well it would seem I have worked it out kind of, got the map fixed resolution and the solved gaps by flooring the start coordinates for the draw. Not a scrolling map so same size on all monitors but that’s fine I think. Seems to work now! Thanks!
Astorek86
Prole

Re: Resolutions! How to scale or whether fixed?

Post by Astorek86 »

Just to be said: There's a great Library called push for Love2d which handles that Resolution-Problem for you. It's quite popular here^^...
Nytician
Prole

Re: Resolutions! How to scale or whether fixed?

Post by Nytician »

Okay great thank you, might switch we’ll see how it goes! Thanks for the reply!