A game about growing plants (beta 6 released!)

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.

Beta 5: What should be worked on now?

Polish the 'Perfect Plant' mode
58%
Add an options menu
33%
Improve graphics and sound
8%
Something else (please explain)
No votes

Total votes: 12

Ensayia
Party member

Re: A game about growing plants

Post by Ensayia »

As Taehl promised, here are some of the different types of leaves that will appear in the game, based on an experimental art style!

Regular or 'Single' Leaves:

Blade-like Leaves:

Leaf Clusters:

Nettles:

Fern Leaves: (my current favorite!)
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

Wow.
Ryne
Party member

Post by Ryne »

Taehl wrote:I use Fraps to record the game, then open the resulting video and export it as a multiple .gif with VirtualDub (along with adjusting size and other tweaks). Finally, I use Dropbox to host it online. You can get them all for free, so you should have no trouble making your own. ;)
Literally before reading your post I ended up doing that exact same things on my own. I've had Fraps for a while but I just assumed it wouldn't work with love (for no good reason). I ended up trying to record frames with Fraps which wasn't fast enough, so I recorded a video, ran it through virtual dub, and just cut every second frame. I think it's funny because you described the exact same process, right after I did it. :)
@rynesaur
Taehl
Dreaming in associative arrays

Post by Taehl »

Here's a new clip of the wind. Note the soft breezes and how wind travels across the screen instead of affecting all trees at once (with sufficiently wide trees, you can see wind blow from one side of it to the other). What's not shown is how the wind, given enough time, will vary between calm and gusty. That which is shown in the clip is a moderately strong wind. I think I'll be leaving it like this, sans tweaks, unless anyone sees something wrong with it.

Earliest Love2D supporter who can't Love anymore. Let me disable pixel shaders if I don't use them, dammit!
Lenovo Thinkpad X60 Tablet, built like a tank. But not fancy enough for Love2D 0.10.0+.
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

I've just heard about Bohm and thought "hey I've seen this before" :)
When I write def I mean function.
Taehl

Post by Taehl »

So, besides finishing up wind and switching the game to be resolution-independent and other general tweaks, I decided to make some kind of cursor, which was badly needed. I didn't really know what I had in mind for it, but it ended up rather interesting.

The graphics probably won't stay like that, but maybe the functionality will. The cursor is almost like a graph or a sign, and the text changes to instruct you based on the situation (for example, if the plant limit has been reached, it turns orange and informs you to remove a plant by right-clicking). I've never seen a game do something like this before. It's neat.
Earliest Love2D supporter who can't Love anymore. Let me disable pixel shaders if I don't use them, dammit!
Lenovo Thinkpad X60 Tablet, built like a tank. But not fancy enough for Love2D 0.10.0+.
Ensayia
Party member

Post by Ensayia »

...and here's the game if made by Dr. Seuss!

But really, more graphics testing is on the way, so keep your eyes peeled!
Taehl

Post by Taehl »

Meanwhile, in the garden of tiny trees...

That's fullscreen, by the way. The one with the circle around it? That's a zero-pixel-tall tree. I tried to restrict the genetics as little as possible, just so you can do silly stuff like this.
ishkabible
Party member

Post by ishkabible »

you should make a little avatar that you have to move around to tend the the trees.
Taehl

Post by Taehl »

We were planning on something like that - a bug or something (maybe magical) that would hover near your cursor position.

I had fun breeding a plant to maximum colorfulness, then inbred it until mutation took its offspring through the spectrum: