Total deployment

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Raylin
Prole

Total deployment

Post by Raylin »

Can Lua + LOVE be deployed to all the following solutions?

* Xbox 360
* PS3
* DS
* Wii
* iOS (iPhone, iPad, iPod)
Ryne
Party member

Re: Total deployment

Post by Ryne »

At this point, No. But in theory, if you were a good enough [whatever love was programmed with] programmer then you could likely do it.

I was actually interested in knowing if the developers would push towards iOS now, since Apple has relaxed its development "rules" to allow Lua to be used, as well as 3rd party Windows development. The only thing is, in order to test your games on the iOS itself you would need Jailbreak, or have an Apple Developer License ($99) which I wouldn't mind paying, if LOVE could do it. :)
@rynesaur
BlackBulletIV
Inner party member

Post by BlackBulletIV »

That's a nice idea. Love is programmed in C++. To get it onto to iOS you would have to extend it using a mixture of C++ and Objective-C (which is the main language used to make iOS and Mac apps).
Ryne wrote:since Apple has relaxed its development "rules" to allow Lua to be used, as well as 3rd party Windows development.
I would have thought that even if Apple hadn't relaxed it's development rules you would still be able to use Love, wouldn't it count as an app programmed in C++ that uses some Lua scripts as resources?

As for the other platforms, I'm not sure what programming language or API you're meant to use for them.
Ryne
Party member

Post by Ryne »

BlackBulletIV wrote:That's a nice idea. Love is programmed in C++. To get it onto to iOS you would have to extend it using a mixture of C++ and Objective-C (which is the main language used to make iOS and Mac apps).
Ryne wrote:since Apple has relaxed its development "rules" to allow Lua to be used, as well as 3rd party Windows development.
I would have thought that even if Apple hadn't relaxed it's development rules you would still be able to use Love, wouldn't it count as an app programmed in C++ that uses some Lua scripts as resources?

As for the other platforms, I'm not sure what programming language or API you're meant to use for them.
I'm not certain, but I know scripting languages in general were strictly forbidden, but I think that in Apples "relaxed" state, scripting languages INSIDE of engines are allowed.
@rynesaur
BlackBulletIV
Inner party member

Post by BlackBulletIV »

Wow, that's very strict, and rather illogical. But anyway, at least it's relaxed now.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

Someone actually worked on love with Apple's backends, thus making it possible for it to run on an iPhone (and I saw screenshots of it running in an emulator). It wasn't really advanced yet (it's a lot of work, obviously), and he's been busy, but hey, at least there's hope ;).
BlackBulletIV
Inner party member

Post by BlackBulletIV »

So it was running in an emulator or something was it?
Ryne
Party member

Post by Ryne »

BlackBulletIV wrote:So it was running in an emulator or something was it?
I think he meant that he saw it in a iPhone emulator on the PC. Like in the iPhone SDK.
@rynesaur
BlackBulletIV
Inner party member

Post by BlackBulletIV »

Oooh, the iPhone simulator. Got it. Well that's awesome then.
Araqiel
Citizen

Post by Araqiel »

Psh. iOS. What a joke. Use Android. :D