love2d on Java?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
ishkabible
Party member

love2d on Java?

Post by ishkabible »

i was wondering if any one ever made a love2d for Java so that it could be played in browsers. love2d with Java would kill flash for game dev, so much faster and it already has everything built in that it needs. i think there is something like JLua out there.
FierceForm
Prole

Re: love2d on Java?

Post by FierceForm »

The engine is written in C++ using Lua as scripting. I guess it could be possible if you ported all of the C++ code to Java, but that's a lot of work. Also, JLua is probably not being worked on anymore, seeing as the last update was years ago (and their website seems to have been taken over by law ninjas), so you'd have to use a different Lua interpreter for Java (some Google results: Mochalua, Jill, Luaj). AFAIK no one has done all of that yet, but if you feel the need to do that just to get your game on a website, no one is stopping you. (After all, Love is zlib/libpng, a pretty awesome open-source license)
-FierceForm
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

There is a LÖVE-plugin for Firefox, which is basically normal LÖVE with I don't know what, bartbes made it a while ago. It's pretty awesome but keys don't work, because SDL thinks it has no focus. Also it's a major security risk (unless it's SELÖVE, I guess).
Help us help you: attach a .love.
kurige
Prole

Post by kurige »

It may also be able to port a version of LÖVE to NaCl, Google's (relatively) new native client architecture for Chrome. Would be a fun project.
deathbeam
Prole

Post by deathbeam »

Bindie
Party member

Post by Bindie »

Did it take four years? Cool.
jjmafiae
Party member

Post by jjmafiae »

there was something made by Kikito (viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17727) you can also look into LibGDX
s-ol
Party member

Post by s-ol »

jjmafiae wrote:there was something made by Kikito (viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17727) you can also look into LibGDX
Java is not JavaScript

There is a java game framework running lua that is trying hard to become löve-like, it has been linked above by deathbeam.

s-ol.nu /blog  -  p.s-ol.be /st8.lua  -  g.s-ol.be /gtglg /curcur

Code: Select all

print( type(love) )
if false then
  baby:hurt(me)
end
jjmafiae
Party member

Post by jjmafiae »

S0lll0s wrote:
jjmafiae wrote:there was something made by Kikito (viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17727) you can also look into LibGDX
Java is not JavaScript

There is a java game framework running lua that is trying hard to become löve-like, it has been linked above by deathbeam.
Omg brain fart sorry xD
I~=Spam
Party member

Post by I~=Spam »

jjmafiae wrote:Omg brain fart sorry xD
:rofl: I have done plenty of those myself :crazy:
My Tox ID: 0F1FB9170B94694A90FBCF6C4DDBDB9F58A9E4CDD0B4267E50BF9CDD62A0F947E376C5482610