Closed source game.

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
ThePile
Prole

Closed source game.

Post by ThePile »

Is it possible to make the game closed source? In the sense that no one can just come along and open the .love file in winrar and check out all my code?
thelinx
The Strongest

Re: Closed source game.

Post by thelinx »

Short answer: No.

Long answer: Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.
ThePile
Prole

Post by ThePile »

Well, damn. Love is so convenient, but I actually want to make a profit off of the games I make.
Know any other engine I could use?
thelinx
The Strongest

Post by thelinx »

You can still make money off an open-source game.
crow
Party member

Post by crow »

Well you can make it closed source but you would have to use a 3ed party program to do so and also you could use luac to encrypt the lua files so its not impossable but love its self does not offer this.
Sir Kittenface
Möko IDE Codename (Erös) Returns Soon

I am dyslexic so if any of my replys confusing please just ask me to reword it as this will make things a lot easier for all parties lol.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Also:
ThePile wrote:Is it possible to make the game closed source?
Yes.
ThePile wrote:In the sense that no one can just come along and open the .love file in winrar and check out all my code?
Noooooooooo!

Once again, closed != hidden.

You can still make money off a game, even if the source isn't hidden, and even if the source is open.
crow wrote:Well you can make it closed source but you would have to use a 3ed party program to do so and also you could use luac to encrypt the lua files so its not impossable but love its self does not offer this.
Please don't do that. It will make a lot of people very angry and will widely be regarded as a bad move.
Last edited by Robin on Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
ThePile
Prole

Post by ThePile »

That's debatable. I could make money from advertisements, but there's much higher potential for profit with a closed source game.
Do you think Bioware, or Bethesda or any other big game developer would make as much money if their games were open source?

Either way, nevermind. I found some other engines in Java which I am more comfortable with. Love is cool and convenient, but I have my requirements.
Thanks for the help, guys.
crow
Party member

Post by crow »

I have to also say if you encrypt to luac it can be decrypted it just kinda masks the plan code forgot to say this in the last post. there are many means to protect files or stop files from been edited to stop cheating as you could use a 3ed party exe that rights your source file back so it can't be changed since it always repelaces it.

Robin wrote: crow wrote:
Well you can make it closed source but you would have to use a 3ed party program to do so and also you could use luac to encrypt the lua files so its not impossable but love its self does not offer this.

Please don't do that. It will make a lot of people very angry and will widely be regarded as a bad move.
I am sorry just cos it wont make people happy the user asked if something can be done and it can so I will offer details I know of I not going to lie or keep hush just cos it will upset a few people its not really a bad thing to tell them what i know.
Last edited by crow on Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sir Kittenface
Möko IDE Codename (Erös) Returns Soon

I am dyslexic so if any of my replys confusing please just ask me to reword it as this will make things a lot easier for all parties lol.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

ThePile wrote:That's debatable. I could make money from advertisements, but there's much higher potential for profit with a closed source game.
Do you think Bioware, or Bethesda or any other big game developer would make as much money if their games were open source?
Irrelevant. You're not big (I assume ;)), so what works for you might not work for you and vice versa.

Also note that Big and Evil tend to go together: it's hard to get away with being evil if you're small, and being big is so much easier if you don't mind being evil (as Google has found out years ago).
ThePile wrote:Either way, nevermind. I found some other engines in Java which I am more comfortable with. Love is cool and convenient, but I have my requirements.
Thanks for the help, guys.
Awww. :(
Help us help you: attach a .love.
BlackBulletIV
Inner party member

Post by BlackBulletIV »

I'd like to add one more thing to this. Merged executables. You can actually merge the .love file with an the love executable, therefore hiding to pretty much everyone. Only someone who knows what to do with merged executables coming Love (highly unlikely if you don't reveal the engine), or someone that struck good on their technique to getting at the source (unzipping the executable - highly unlikely again) would be able to get at the source. But almost all users aren't that technical anyway.