Future features

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Merkoth
Party member

Re: Future features

Post by Merkoth »

rude wrote:I've also thought about this. Could perhaps make it possible to open main.lua in LÖVE directly. I usually use the drag-and-drop technique suggested my Merkoth.
My girlfriend strongly disagrees with that statement, sorry ._.
alxs wrote:I will do this anyway because I need a 2D Lua engine. But I prefer to do it under your “LOVE” label and make the code and tools public.
Because LÖVE is a worldwide-known trademark, isn't it? Seriously, WTF?
alxs wrote:I've started coding the LOVE 2 project, basically just creating a solid and (hopefully) logical structure from scratch and adapting pieces of my existing code.
Now that's just rude (attitude, not person). IMHO, there's a subtle difference between offering your help and saying "this is so wrong that I'm rewriting it from scratch despite the fact no one asked me to" (hijacking a useful and important thread, BTW). Not cool dude, not cool.

Just my two cents, of course.

Can we get to the Future Features topic back now? Thanks. rude, mike, is it possible to implement something like HGE's "distort meshes"? Someday, sometime, of course n_n
rude
Administrator

Post by rude »

Merkoth wrote:
rude wrote:I've also thought about this. Could perhaps make it possible to open main.lua in LÖVE directly. I usually use the drag-and-drop technique suggested my Merkoth.
My girlfriend strongly disagrees with that statement, sorry ._.
Whoops ... and M isn't even next to B.

Distortion mesh ... do you refer to that spline surface? (Which I assume it is). I was going to hook up b-splines sooner or later. I'm intrigued; what are you going to use it for? If you've used it before in HGE, how did you use it?

And about "LOVE 2", I believe alxs is just trying to help, although he may seem like a 14-year old LISP programmer on speed. (Of which there are many, of course). Don't kill him yet, Merkoth, he can probably help me and Mike a lot. ^^
mike
Administrator

Post by mike »

rude wrote:And about "LOVE 2", I believe alxs is just trying to help, although he may seem like a 14-year old LISP programmer on speed. (Of which there are many, of course). Don't kill him yet, Merkoth, he can probably help me and Mike a lot. ^^
Sounds like somebody you know? Ah yes, we have all had our eager moments... *looks off into the sunset*

Anyway, are you sure we should be talking about "distort meshes" and other such fancy stuff when we don't even have full file support, etc? "Let's not get ahead of ourselves here..."
Now posting IN STEREO (where available)
Merkoth
Party member

Post by Merkoth »

rude wrote:Distortion mesh ... do you refer to that spline surface? (Which I assume it is). I was going to hook up b-splines sooner or later. I'm intrigued; what are you going to use it for? If you've used it before in HGE, how did you use it?
I used it when I was coding a little abstract shooter. Certain explosions and powerful bullets/rays could distort the background, creating ripples. Think of Geometry Wars where you distort the background grid when you're really powerful. Another cool effect I once saw was simulating cloth, like the cape of a character for example. Anyway, this is the kind of stuff you should really add when you're really bored n_n
rude wrote:And about "LOVE 2", I believe alxs is just trying to help, although he may seem like a 14-year old LISP programmer on speed. (Of which there are many, of course). Don't kill him yet, Merkoth, he can probably help me and Mike a lot. ^^
Sorry if I sounded rud... err... too harsh, I'll drop the topic right here, I'm not interested in flamewars. And LISP rocks.
mike wrote:Anyway, are you sure we should be talking about "distort meshes" and other such fancy stuff when we don't even have full file support, etc? "Let's not get ahead of ourselves here..."
Agreed, you're right mike n_n
rude
Administrator

Post by rude »

Merkoth wrote: I used it when I was coding a little abstract shooter. Certain explosions and powerful bullets/rays could distort the background, creating ripples. Think of Geometry Wars where you distort the background grid when you're really powerful. Another cool effect I once saw was simulating cloth, like the cape of a character for example. Anyway, this is the kind of stuff you should really add when you're really bored n_n
Ah ... Geometry Wars. That would be very nice.
mike wrote:Anyway, are you sure we should be talking about "distort meshes" and other such fancy stuff when we don't even have full file support, etc? "Let's not get ahead of ourselves here..."
The wise one speaks!
rude
Administrator

Post by rude »

What is the currently most wanted feature? Mike suggested collision detection. I'm doing that next unless I hear 200dB objections.

Must ... resist ... distotion mesh ... (damn you Merkoth!).
Merkoth
Party member

Post by Merkoth »

IMHO, basic collision detection is easy to implement on the lua side, but I'm sure a lot of people would disagree with me. I know I promised a tutorial about that, but I don't want to waste my little free time if you're going to implement it in the near future. I'm not whining about my lack of free time, I'd just like to finish my little tile scroller tutorial :)

Another important thing is file management, we can't even save highscore tables, game configs, etc. I've seen some progress on the repo, but I'm not sure how far 0.2.1 actually is nor if it will include such functionality.

Edit: Dude, you know that distort meshes aren't really important right now ;)
rude
Administrator

Post by rude »

True ... collision detection is possible to do in Lua, whereas the file handling must be done natively. (Actually, the io library in Lua might be available, but it will soon be made unavailable).

Some 0.2.1 news:

- I've been working on some image processing functions that ensure "perfect" rendering of textures when rendered in non-int coordinates. Much like HGE's "PNG optimizer", only not limited to PNG. I'll post some demos showing the difference when we release.
- Some of the requested features have beed added, such as love.mouse:setPosition, love.timer:setCap, etc.
- Also added other minor stuff, like the ability to draw a subsection of an image, and love.graphics:getWidth/Height (which was simply forgotten in 0.2.0).
- Not 100% sure what Mike is doing, but I believe he's been adding line height to fonts, scaling to ImageFonts, and probably other stuff.

I'll create a separate post for love.filesystem interface discussion, and one for collision detection later.

I know distortion meshes must wait ... it just seemed fun. Me like effects.
ivan
Party member

Post by ivan »

I'm actually working on the collision detection for our engine. We decided to combine it with the renderer so that the entire scene is contained within just one tree. Although this approach is faster, it has made things significantly more complicated and it probably won't work if you are planning to integrate an exsiting physics engine.
Anyways, I'm curious to see what you'll come up with.
Keep it up ;)
rude
Administrator

Post by rude »

Hehe, we'll see. It will probably be a while before it's done, though.