Columns! 0.0.1

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Gnx
Prole

Re: Columns! 0.0.1

Post by Gnx »

I like it. It feels very polished in terms of visuals and sounds.
BlackBulletIV
Inner party member

Post by BlackBulletIV »

sharpobject wrote:
BlackBulletIV wrote:It's probably because the shared graphics doesn't support it. I guess a "segfault" (segmentation fault, right?), it didn't spit back a trace message, it only froze after the "made with LOVE" screen, and then crashed.
This happened to me under LOVE 0.7.0 but not under 0.7.1
Oh that was the problem! I didn't update LOVE on this computer.

So anyway, I played it for a bit. Nice job! Very polished! Love how the camera shakes and the colorful particle system activates; awesome.
EmmanuelOga
Citizen

Post by EmmanuelOga »

BlackBulletIV wrote:Oh that was the problem! I didn't update LOVE on this computer. ... So anyway, I played it for a bit.
Excellent! Glad you like it :ultraglee:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://EmmanuelOga.com
Ensayia
Party member

Post by Ensayia »

WELL DONE!

As an old hardcore Columns player on the Sega Genesis, I get a major kick out of this. This is one of the most polished products I've seen on the LOVE forums and it's a first alpha release! The original was more mystic and peaceful in tone, but the whole techno and lights thing goes a long way. For anyone who has never played the original, go grab a genesis emulator and compare!
Taehl
Dreaming in associative arrays

Post by Taehl »

Not really my kind of game, but still, this is really well-made. Bravo. Lots of nice little touches, and no rough edges. I think this should be included with Love, as one of the demos (it really needs to come with more than that No game, IMHO).
Earliest Love2D supporter who can't Love anymore. Let me disable pixel shaders if I don't use them, dammit!
Lenovo Thinkpad X60 Tablet, built like a tank. But not fancy enough for Love2D 0.10.0+.
Tesselode
Party member

Post by Tesselode »

Very nice job. It's good to see someone make something with Love that is finished and actually tries to have a nice presentation (which it does very well). I started out with the levels; it was a little boring, but endless mode was more promising. I tried the levels again later; they're OK so far, haven't played very many.

My problems with the game are mostly nit-picky. I think it should switch to the next block as soon as the current one hits another block; I had quite a few instances of accidentally shifting blocks over once they already landed. I think endless mode needs some sort of increase in difficulty. And I'm sure when you get 4 (or 5) blocks in a row you can say something better than "LONG HORIZONTAL LINE" or whatever it was.

Anyway, very nice job, especially with the graphics and gameplay.
EmmanuelOga
Citizen

Post by EmmanuelOga »

Hey guys, thanks for the nice comments!
Tesselode wrote:I started out with the levels; it was a little boring, but endless mode was more promising. I tried the levels again later; they're OK so far, haven't played very many.
I added the levels in a rush without thinking a lot about them. Making them progressively challenging was a little more difficult than I expected. I hope to get better in this regard, I'm planning to add at least 45 levels if I can come up with different ideas for each one :).
Tesselode wrote: My problems with the game are mostly nit-picky. I think it should switch to the next block as soon as the current one hits another block; I had quite a few instances of accidentally shifting blocks over once they already landed.
hmmm maybe I could reduce the lay down time of the block... the thing is sometime you want to move it after it has hit a block. Most games of this type allow you some movement time after laying the piece (think tetris). Although in tetris the "slippery" problem is not so annoying since the pieces are irregular and generally fit together.
Tesselode wrote: I think endless mode needs some sort of increase in difficulty.
Agreed.
Tesselode wrote: And I'm sure when you get 4 (or 5) blocks in a row you can say something better than "LONG HORIZONTAL LINE" or whatever it was.
Hahaha that sounds a little boring now that you mention it. Suggestions? I was thinking in random "Awesome", "Great", "Very Good" messages or the like (and a mortal kombat sfx congratulating you... :joker: )
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BlackBulletIV
Inner party member

Post by BlackBulletIV »

Taehl wrote:it really needs to come with more than that No game, IMHO.
Ditto. I think some sort of simple game would be awesome (with the kind of LOVE like art style, with knolls, blue clouds, and such).
Tesselode
Party member

Post by Tesselode »

EmmanuelOga wrote:Hey guys, thanks for the nice comments!
Tesselode wrote: And I'm sure when you get 4 (or 5) blocks in a row you can say something better than "LONG HORIZONTAL LINE" or whatever it was.
Hahaha that sounds a little boring now that you mention it. Suggestions? I was thinking in random "Awesome", "Great", "Very Good" messages or the like (and a mortal kombat sfx congratulating you... :joker: )
Maybe you could have a 4/5 "chain." That would make it the opposite of Tetris Attack and other puzzle games, but it kind of makes sense.
EmmanuelOga
Citizen

Post by EmmanuelOga »

ha! Just stumbled upon this

http://andrewrussell.net/lightblocks/

Perhaps I should try to make Columns! graphics and music style less frantic, like that game...