Öscillofun

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
RPG
Party member

Re: Öscillofun

Post by RPG »

Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Whoa. Notch posted this on his Twitter and when I saw it I thought to myself, "self", I said, "how cool would it be to make that in Löve?"

And here it is.

So I tweeted it to Notch. (Not promising a reply. They never reply to my Tweets. Everyone else's, yes, but mine, no.)

I am once again impressed for the second time tonight. Dayum...
Ertain
Citizen

Post by Ertain »

Holy god! :shock:
Booted, suited, and ready to get executed.
Alexintosh
Prole

Post by Alexintosh »

that's really cool! I was wondering why the other songs looks like noise, it's an encoding problem?
Taehl
Dreaming in associative arrays

Post by Taehl »

That song was specifically written to make visuals when run through an XY oscilloscope. Other songs do display properly.
Earliest Love2D supporter who can't Love anymore. Let me disable pixel shaders if I don't use them, dammit!
Lenovo Thinkpad X60 Tablet, built like a tank. But not fancy enough for Love2D 0.10.0+.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

In order to understand how it works you need to know how sound works. The song made for this show is specifically made to place certain sounds in the right place to make the line make shapes while still sounding like a song and not just random sounds.
ishkabible
Party member

Post by ishkabible »

cool, it stops playing for me after a while though. the song keeps playing but the visualization doesn't
miko
Party member

Post by miko »

Jasoco wrote:In order to understand how it works you need to know how sound works. The song made for this show is specifically made to place certain sounds in the right place to make the line make shapes while still sounding like a song and not just random sounds.
That is interesting. Does anyone have some URL so I could read more about the algorithm? It would be fun to generate (or "encode") graphics, not only to render it (think: paintbrush to music conversion ;) )
My lovely code lives at GitHub: http://github.com/miko/Love2d-samples
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

Well, the 'algorithm' to calculate a sound for an image isn't that hard, it's making it music that's hard. Since it's a monochrome image, the only data you need is the X and Y position, which are indicated by the 2 channels (it's stereo music).
BlackBulletIV
Inner party member

Post by BlackBulletIV »

bartbes wrote:Well, the 'algorithm' to calculate a sound for an image isn't that hard, it's making it music that's hard. Since it's a monochrome image, the only data you need is the X and Y position, which are indicated by the 2 channels (it's stereo music).
But aren't the samples played one at a time? Or do you take a bunch of samples at a time? Is that decided by the refresh rate or something?