Wiki documentation comment/tag ?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
TsT
Party member

Wiki documentation comment/tag ?

Post by TsT »

Hello,

It could be interesting to show in each love function page if the function are useful for what kind of use :
- basic (a beginner must be learn it)
- advanced (you should learn)
- expert (you probably don't need it)
- internal (just for information)

What is your opinion ?

Regards,
My projects current projects : dragoon-framework (includes lua-newmodule, lua-provide, lovemodular, , classcommons2, and more ...)
Lafolie
Inner party member

Re: Wiki documentation comment/tag ?

Post by Lafolie »

I don't think that it's necessary. No one function is more or less important than another. It depends on the context that they're used in and what the desired effect is.
Do you recognise when the world won't stop for you? Or when the days don't care what you've got to do? When the weight's too tough to lift up, what do you? Don't let them choose for you, that's on you.
TsT
Party member

Post by TsT »

Lafolie wrote:I don't think that it's necessary. No one function is more or less important than another. It depends on the context that they're used in and what the desired effect is.
I'm not agree, some functions are always more often use than others.
Just compare love.filesystem.load and love.event.pump !
I think about beginners who see so many functions...

Maybe the solution is making a tutorial that list the most usual functions to know for beginners.
My projects current projects : dragoon-framework (includes lua-newmodule, lua-provide, lovemodular, , classcommons2, and more ...)
Lafolie
Inner party member

Post by Lafolie »

But that's what a tutorial is for, yeah. Giving a function the connotation of being intended for a beginner or 'advanced user' (whatever that means) doesn't really achieve anything. If anything, it's going to scare off beginners from using a particular set of functions which could in turn lead to bad working practices.

I don't see any benefit in labelling a particular function as 'for beginners'. Because they're not. They're just functions. Some things are easier to understand than others, like say... I can see how framebuffers might confuse someone new to programming... but still, framebuffers weren't made with some kinda 'super user' in mind. It was made with a purpose.
Do you recognise when the world won't stop for you? Or when the days don't care what you've got to do? When the weight's too tough to lift up, what do you? Don't let them choose for you, that's on you.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Lafolie wrote:It was made with a purpose.
This.

If anything, we need more elaborate tutorials, introducing new lovers to more advanced concepts and use cases. Damn, I should really kick start LÖVECHILD sometime.
Help us help you: attach a .love.