löve builtin changes

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
TsT
Party member

löve builtin changes

Post by TsT »

Hello,

I consider 2 different uses of löve, 2 different security consideration.

The first use is for building standalone application, explained in Game_Distribution.
Like every .exe file, The user that run the file can not exactly know if it's a good or malicious program.
The control of the security is made by the OS environment (anti-virus, firewall, etc.).

The second use is to setup one virtual machine to play multiple applet games, like java or flash do.
In this case the user control is own environment and provide or restrict what he what to the applet.

I want discuss about this second use.
What you launch love without argument, without game, it play a beautiful animation.
This animation is as beautiful as useless :D
After the some number of watch, I'm boring and this animation is equal of "I do a mistake" like forgot the directory, etc.

I think about replace the builtin animation by something more useful like :
- a way to navigate into the local file system to choose a file to open
- a menu to change settings like screen resolution, sound settings, fullscreen, ...
- a way for the user to enforce settings (like deny switch to fullscreen, or list of allowed resolution)
- a way to allow every function or running the applet into safe/jailed environment
- add an about menu to see the beautiful animation :D

I'm already working on all of this points except I never think about put them into built-in place.
Note: I speak about built-in but all of those points can be place on the local file system (in readonly place) not absolutely bundled into the love binary.

I just wonder if that is interesting someone ?

Regards,
My projects current projects : dragoon-framework (includes lua-newmodule, lua-provide, lovemodular, , classcommons2, and more ...)
Ghuntar
Prole

Re: löve builtin changes

Post by Ghuntar »

- a way to navigate into the local file system to choose a file to open
- a menu to change settings like screen resolution, sound settings, fullscreen, ...
- a way for the user to enforce settings (like deny switch to fullscreen, or list of allowed resolution)
- a way to allow every function or running the applet into safe/jailed environment
Good ideas... But reachable via Konami code... (Or just a little button in a corner)
The default animation should stay.
Crazy Little Thing Called LÖVE.
TsT
Party member

Post by TsT »

The konami code ? Oh shit I still forget to try it !
I will see ASAP :)
Thanks
My projects current projects : dragoon-framework (includes lua-newmodule, lua-provide, lovemodular, , classcommons2, and more ...)
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

TsT wrote:- a way to navigate into the local file system to choose a file to open
- add an about menu to see the beautiful animation :D
Of those suggestions only the first one seems reasonable. Unfortunately, I think it needs the LÖVE core to be changed substantially. It needs to be able to call setSource a second time.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
Lafolie
Inner party member

Post by Lafolie »

I might swap my default Löve package (ha) for the Konami Code one, just for laughs.

The proposal you're making here though is kind of against the Löve philosophy, if I may be so bold as to say so. It is my understanding that Löve is a framework, like XNA or Unity. What you envision here is a game platform. The way I see it, Löve is an easy way to make an application for a platform, and not a um.... 'sub-platform' of one of these. Does that make any sense? Hmm.

Honestly, I think there would be people who would like to see that, and I would definitely use it now and then. I have a folder full of downloaded .love projects from here and IRC and whatnot, so I could use it to browse that without having to navigate to the folder in Finder (which is incredibly easy but eh, I'm lazy :P). I have to stress though that I don't think it should be the default Löve um... demo. Because it isn't a demo. The Tank, the falling balls and the um... spinning Löve Planetoid are all great examples of what Löve can do and how polished and clean it could look. It's rather professional. A file browser doesn't really do that.
Last edited by Lafolie on Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do you recognise when the world won't stop for you? Or when the days don't care what you've got to do? When the weight's too tough to lift up, what do you? Don't let them choose for you, that's on you.
BlackBulletIV
Inner party member

Post by BlackBulletIV »

I agree with what the others said, particularly Lafolie. I keep seeing this come up, people treating LOVE as a platform, not a framework. The front page settles that one for us:
The Front Page wrote:Hi there! LÖVE is an *awesome* framework you can use to make 2D games in Lua.