UnLöve: Zombie Survival [Alpha?!?!]

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
BarnD
Prole

Re: UnLöve: Zombie Survival [Alpha?!?!]

Post by BarnD »

Haha, awesome.

New personal best. (there's probably many who can beat it) :P
Lafolie
Inner party member

Post by Lafolie »

Highest score I've seen yet! Well done man. Really need to finish the high scores system today...

I am aware that the "But you got xxxx points..." text is a little difficult to read at the moment. It has to be that colour and less prominent though, because it has to have less visual priority than the "Oh noes D:" text for it to be (a little bit) funny. The solution is a typeface with heavier characters, I'll change that soon.

I've made it so that zombies now collide with each-other, but I'm not sure I like it so much.... I'l upload a copy here if anyone wants to test and give me their opinions. It's pretty basic -aka glitchy- but it already changed the gameplay quite alot. For a start, it means that you can get properly surrounded by zombies that chase you down, rather than being pursued by a long arm of zombininis.

Oh, and the Options menu works now, and framebuffer support is automatically detected and stuff.
UnLove_zomcol.love
zombie collision testing
(2.46 MiB) Downloaded 228 times
Do you recognise when the world won't stop for you? Or when the days don't care what you've got to do? When the weight's too tough to lift up, what do you? Don't let them choose for you, that's on you.
TsT
Party member

Post by TsT »

More I see your game, more I think it can be an excellent game to play with Artificial Intelligence.
I suppose the zombies position can not be hard to get !

I think at first about to set a AI for the player.
But we can imagine lot of things ... like put a second player (computer) and play with it in coop.
My projects current projects : dragoon-framework (includes lua-newmodule, lua-provide, lovemodular, , classcommons2, and more ...)
Lafolie
Inner party member

Post by Lafolie »

Go for it man. The AI for the zombies is really basic. I might add a few more 'personalities' for them to acquire. An AI partner would be awesome. I'm thinking of adding multiplayer support e.g. two player entities on the screen. I need to finish the button customisation for that first though.
Do you recognise when the world won't stop for you? Or when the days don't care what you've got to do? When the weight's too tough to lift up, what do you? Don't let them choose for you, that's on you.
BarnD
Prole

Post by BarnD »

Lafolie wrote:I've made it so that zombies now collide with each-other, but I'm not sure I like it so much....
It looks silly when they are colliding now, you should make it when the collision is detected send that zombie in some other random direction or something. (idk) :P
Lafolie
Inner party member

Post by Lafolie »

BarnD wrote:
Lafolie wrote:I've made it so that zombies now collide with each-other, but I'm not sure I like it so much....
It looks silly when they are colliding now, you should make it when the collision is detected send that zombie in some other random direction or something. (idk) :P
I've played around with it since the last upload and it is alot smoother now. I tried to implement what you said, sort of, but I've commented it out for now since I can't get it right. Instead of instantly switching the AI/target/where-the-zombie-is-going on collision I attempted to determine whether a zombie is stuck or not first. In this way, zombies would still attempt to chase the player or reach their target, yet they will give up if it is impossible to do so and pick another. Kinda like a pseudo pathfinding effect. It would stop the vibrating zombies that get stuck anyway.
I also need to re-order the table to that the zombies tend to slip around the target more often than pushing it. I really don't want to turn off the zombie collisions because they now surround the player pretty nicely.

Edit: I have implemented the anti-stuck code and it looks alot neater now :nyu:
Franc[e]sco
Prole

Post by Franc[e]sco »

Freaking addicting, you should add more features <3
Lafolie
Inner party member

Post by Lafolie »

Franc[e]sco wrote:Freaking addicting, you should add more features <3
Thanks so much! :neko:

I showed the game to a friend yesterday and he played it for at least half an hour. He had to give me my laptop back so that he wouldn't keep playing, haha. I've been messing about with non-gameplay features, which I'm now starting to think is a mistake. I'm gonna put that on a hiatus and get back to the gameplay. Plans at the moment are:
  • Health gauge instead of percentage
  • Ranged weapons
  • Secondary/primary weapon system. E.g. wield a Pistol and Grenades, or Shotgun and Shurikens
  • More enemies - different varieties of zombies
  • Weapon selection menu (probably to replace the pause dialog)
  • Current 'game' is Classic Mode
  • Add an Adventure/Story Mode
  • Unlocks for each game mode based on a cumulative score
  • Graphics that aren't primitives. The sprites will be 'squarish' though since I actually like the squares
Lafolie
Inner party member

Post by Lafolie »

I added a video of the new gun weapon. (Bumplets)

I'll post it here too in case you clicked the shortcut icon thingy. :neko:

Franc[e]sco
Prole

Post by Franc[e]sco »

The hp bar looks awesome! Also, nice gun physics, are you gonna add bullet physics or is it just ray casting?