Thoughts about love?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Rukiri
Citizen

Thoughts about love?

Post by Rukiri »

What made you come to love, do you like it, are you having problems with love, and why are you using love? What a lovely sentence?

Anyway, I have/been using game maker since 2004 and really hated the fact the exe's basically start at 2 friggin mb, now that's small but the same thing in love especially if it's just a blank room is barely nothing at all and it's still 2 friggin mb in game maker! That's the main reason why I'm using/learning love/lua not because game maker can not create the game I want as it most certainly can but if the game is set to be 80+ hrs long(obviously a rpg here) and take into account all the npcs, enemies, and rooms themselves the game is going to be gifuckinggantic! So I needed something that was just as good/easy as gml as game maker and that's how I found love.

The only problem I'm having is with maps as I can still see the black background when the map should only be what the screen/window shows and I haven't really found a solution for it yet..
hryx
Party member

Re: Thoughts about love?

Post by hryx »

"So, how did you two meet?"

I discovered LOVE via the Renoise forums. A recent major release of Renoise (cosmically epic, life-changing music software) added Lua extension support, and people were linking to other cool software that uses Lua. Several months later, I got more curious/serious about LOVE, started making a game, and went head over heels for Lua.

My only major complaint right now is weak sound support. Other than that, I am a LOVE slave.
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

I used Game Maker a lot a couple of years ago. Then I moved to Linux and never looked back. However, a good cross platform alternative to Game Maker was something I had a hard time finding. Until I fell in LÖVE :neko:
Trappingnoobs
Citizen

Post by Trappingnoobs »

From Roblox. Wanted practical uses of Lua. Found one :)

Althugh I do more C# and PHP than lua now.
Taehl
Dreaming in associative arrays

Post by Taehl »

I found Love when I was searching for a 2D game engine where I could make use of the Lua skills I gained from modding Gmod (and to a lesser extent, STALKER). I like it very much, and my only real problems stem not from Love itself, but rather, needing to understand the complicated math which games often rely on. I really wish we could get some support to write images in .png format soon, though. I'm using Love because it's the best option I've found.
Earliest Love2D supporter who can't Love anymore. Let me disable pixel shaders if I don't use them, dammit!
Lenovo Thinkpad X60 Tablet, built like a tank. But not fancy enough for Love2D 0.10.0+.
nevon
Commander of the Circuloids

Post by nevon »

Apparently, I found LÖVE only days after the site was set up. I had no idea until a few months ago. I think that I found it after having used Pygame for a point-and-click adventure game I worked on, and not being too happy with the way Pygame works. But I could be wrong, because my memory sucks.
GijsB
Party member

Post by GijsB »

i found LÖVE on roblox, and when i searched '2D engine in Lua' on google X3
Tesselode
Party member

Post by Tesselode »

I see many puns in the future of this topic.

Anyway, I found LOVE by searching for "2d game engine" on Google. It was the best thing I could find (and it turned out to be quite good).
BlackBulletIV
Inner party member

Post by BlackBulletIV »

Like Tesselode, I searched for "2d game engine" on Google, and LOVE came up.
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

I saw it on reddit when 0.6.2 came out.