Further Than Ever

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
adam a
Prole

Further Than Ever

Post by adam a »

This is a game I made during a couple of game jams earlier in the year. It's about catching birds in a net and also about the complex social dilemmas that birds face. I recently fixed some spelling errors and other small bugs so I thought I might show it off.

http://adam-a.co.uk/bins/further_than_ever.love

Big props and everything to those kind Love devs too. It's fun to make games :)
The Burrito
Party member

Re: Further Than Ever

Post by The Burrito »

Pretty neat, I like the abstract style of it a lot.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Neato! The bird-catcher thing is a bit hard to control though.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
Cantide
Prole

Post by Cantide »

Cool! I actually liked the way the net was controlled. If it were easier the game wouldn't be challenging.
Also... are you sure it's about birds and not people? :p
nevon
Commander of the Circuloids

Post by nevon »

I love this. It was beautifully made, it both caught and held my interest the whole time, and I think the underlying metaphor hit the sweet-spot - being intentionally obvious, but still not cheesy.

Great work. Quite possibly my favorite of the things I've seen posted here.
Boolsheet
Inner party member

Post by Boolsheet »

nevon wrote:I love this. It was beautifully made, it both caught and held my interest the whole time
I feel the same.
Thanks for sharing the game!
Shallow indentations.
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

Cool game. It does run very slowly on my netbook, but that's not all that strange (although my netbook does run most LÖVE games very well).
Taehl
Dreaming in associative arrays

Post by Taehl »

Very nice. I like the music, the graphics (they may be simple, but at least they were unique), and the text. I found that the most optimal way to catch the birds with a long net was to line your net close to the left side of the screen, then move quickly to jerk the net down into the birds right after they spawn.
Earliest Love2D supporter who can't Love anymore. Let me disable pixel shaders if I don't use them, dammit!
Lenovo Thinkpad X60 Tablet, built like a tank. But not fancy enough for Love2D 0.10.0+.
adam a
Prole

Post by adam a »

What a nice response! I'm glad everyone seems to like it.

@Cantide: Yeah I tried making the net faster. Some people I showed it too thought it would be more interesting like that, but my physics for the net is a bit special and it goes a bit wonky if you make it much faster. I liked the slow pace in the end. It makes it more thoughtful, you have to plan your moves a little, plus it gives you time to read the text.

@T-Bone: Sorry, I know the performance is not great on my old laptop either. I'm redrawing the whole screen each time and there are 40x20 triangles so it's quite a lot. That said, the net movement is supposed to be fairly slow and the game should be frame-rate independent, so unless you are seeing a lot of jerky pauses then it's probably fine.