In The Dark

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
adam a
Prole

Re: In The Dark

Post by adam a »

Your game looks really cool, it's a very interesting idea. Good luck with the funding, I pledged $30 and tweeted about it too :)
The Burrito
Party member

Post by The Burrito »

adam a wrote:Your game looks really cool, it's a very interesting idea. Good luck with the funding, I pledged $30 and tweeted about it too
Thanks! I'm making decent progress on the game itself, still working on a decent gameplay video which should bring more attention.

Using the physics engine is awesome when it works, but it takes me like all day to program a new AI for a monster.
But soon, there will be a terrible frog thing:
adam a
Prole

Post by adam a »

I love the art style for the game, very nice frog monster. Yeah the physics looks complicated, having the light act as a physical body is a cool idea but I bet it's hard to get right :)
The Burrito
Party member

Post by The Burrito »

The hardest thing is actually the trivial stuff, making characters move like people expect (in other words, like mario) . "Realistic" physics feel really slow to most gamers and its really hard to completely decouple physics forces from the framerate.
The lights just rely on a couple of physics tricks and the only tough part is making sure that if a monster is pushed into a wall by a light it gets stuck inside the light instead of stuck inside the wall.
adam a
Prole

Post by adam a »

That makes sense. I remember trying to make a platformer using Love before and having the same problem. Have you thought about disabling the physics on the creatures? You could just use the physics engine for collisions but move them along the ground manually. You can put the physics back on if you need them to get flung across the screen or bounce off a wall in a proper way.
nevon
Commander of the Circuloids

Post by nevon »

Would you look at that! A plug on OMG! Ubuntu! No need to thank me. Just doing what I do. ;)
The Burrito
Party member

Post by The Burrito »

nevon wrote:No need to thank me.
Oh, you will be thanked...

...Thanks Nevon, this is a big help!
adam a wrote:Have you thought about disabling the physics on the creatures?
I sort of do under the right circumstances, the player's footing is determined by a series of testsegment calls, which rotates him to match the ground based on the relative segment lengths. About a month ago I had completely replaced the physics based jumping with fixed height and speed movements, but by the time I added enough exceptions to the rules to make it "feel right" it was significantly slower and still had issues on occasion. The end result is a bit of a hybrid that applies forces per frame until the player reaches a minimum full jump height, that way if he's jumping from a moving platform the extra momentum is taken into account, no extra work from me.
adam a
Prole

Post by adam a »

Sounds like you know what you're doing :)
LuaWeaver
Party member

Post by LuaWeaver »

Robin wrote: Oh, no! Naw, I think we're all glad LÖVE's used commercially. :P
Yes! I totally agree! Your choice though...

game looks beatiful. Hope I don't have to pay for it... ;)
"your actions cause me to infer your ego is the size of three houses" -finley
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

LuaWeaver wrote:Hope I don't have to pay for it... ;)
Do you want it to succeed or not? :P