Framework or engine?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Re: Framework or engine?

Post by Jasoco »

It's a Framework that you use to build your Engine on. And you use your Engine to power your Game.
ntpspe
Prole

Post by ntpspe »

its actually a standalone application and it uses a scripting language; its API is more like a framework though.
So it's a....

FRENGINE?
FRAMEGINE?

:P
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

BlackBulletIV wrote:You can call it either. I personally go with engine, largely because its actually a standalone application and it uses a scripting language; its API is more like a framework though.
It may use a scripting language, but it uses it as a high level programming language rather than for actual scripting. This is also the reason why it's a "standalone application" - because Lua is compiled at runtime.

Another major thing that shifts it in favour of framework instead of engine status is this missing part (from wikipedia): "Game engines provide a suite of visual development tools in addition to reusable software components. These tools are generally provided in an integrated development environment to enable simplified, rapid development of games in a data-driven manner."
BlackBulletIV
Inner party member

Post by BlackBulletIV »

slime wrote:It may use a scripting language, but it uses it as a high level programming language rather than for actual scripting.
When you look at it technically, we're actually scripting an application (but then again, all interpreted languages are like this).
slime wrote:This is also the reason why it's a "standalone application" - because Lua is compiled at runtime.
I was also referring to the packaging system the LOVE uses; very engine-like to me.
slime wrote:Another major thing that shifts it in favour of framework instead of engine status is this missing part (from wikipedia): "Game engines provide a suite of visual development tools in addition to reusable software components. These tools are generally provided in an integrated development environment to enable simplified, rapid development of games in a data-driven manner."
I don't really agree with that part of the definition; it's something that many game engines do, and definitely makes an engine more... "engine-like".
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Let's just call LÖVE awesome and leave it at that. ;)
Help us help you: attach a .love.
BlackBulletIV
Inner party member

Post by BlackBulletIV »

A good idea. :D
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

It's really a framework, but I'm going to stick with framgine because it sounds funny :neko:
rude
Administrator

Post by rude »

bartbes wrote:
Robin wrote:a period in time less than three years ago?
Oh you sneaky bastard, you totally said <3, didn't you?
:awesome:

The title should not be changed! People often search for "[free] 2d engine" on Google.
nevon
Commander of the Circuloids

Post by nevon »

rude wrote:The title should not be changed! People often search for "[free] 2d engine" on Google.
I've heard that people often search for: "cock-hungry BBW sluts" on Google. I'd like to suggest a name change for LÖVE!
rude
Administrator

Post by rude »

nevon wrote:
rude wrote:The title should not be changed! People often search for "[free] 2d engine" on Google.
I've heard that people often search for: "cock-hungry BBW sluts" on Google. I'd like to suggest a name change for LÖVE!
I think LÖVE would not be to far away (in terms of entries) if you searched for that. (AnAL, LUBE, PeNIS, and so forth).

If we could just get a library called COCK too, no change is required.