Programmer wanted for real-time strategy game "Cast Lead"

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
qubodup
Inner party member

Re: Programmer wanted for real-time strategy game "Cast Lead"

Post by qubodup »

I programmed a little. Dirty code of course, though slightly documented. All you can do is select the top right tank and deselect it.
castlead_v0.0.1.love
(109.81 KiB) Downloaded 224 times
lg.newImage("cat.png") -- made possible by lg = love.graphics
-- Don't force fullscreen (it frustrates those who want to try your game real quick) -- Develop for 1280x720 (so people can make HD videos)
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

qubodup wrote:Do you still want to help?
Wait.. I missed this post :ultrashocked::
Yes I still want to help. zlib? no problem. git? on ubuntu, should work out.

BTW, nice start, I can't wait to play the full game myself :P
SnakeFace
Prole

Post by SnakeFace »

I can lend a hand if you guys need it.
qubodup
Inner party member

Post by qubodup »

bartbes wrote:Yes I still want to help.
SnakeFace wrote:I can lend a hand if you guys need it.
Thank you!
I told bartbes via pm yesterday that I will be able to write today evening, but I´m not sure any more that I´ll have time this weekend.

In any case, I´ll keep you updated :)

For now, I think the game can be separated in four (4) big programming tasks:
  • map and controls - unit movement, attack and reloading/refueling
  • rocket rendering - creating and destroying rockets in/from a table and drawing them on some kind of wave-ish path
  • message system - text-rendering in the right sidebar and managing photos that fit to the message
  • animations - somehow we need to get movement and explosion animations in the game
I´ll try to go into details later. :)
-- Don't force fullscreen (it frustrates those who want to try your game real quick) -- Develop for 1280x720 (so people can make HD videos)
SnakeFace
Prole

Post by SnakeFace »

I'm working on a messaging system of my own, I guess I can adapt it to fit to this, seeing as it is very similar. I added you on jabber btw, for faster communication.
Lovely quotes
somewhere within the jungle of administrative doom - rude
qubodup
Inner party member

Post by qubodup »

osgeld created a well-documented alternative implementation and allowed me to upload it, so I pushed it to the git repo. Thanks again, osgeld!

bartbes, SnakeFace: These are the basic things that would make sense to do:
  • create an Assembla account I should then be able to add you as developers (tell me your IDs)
  • pull the git repo
  • get accustomed with the existing code (tell if there's anything wrong with it and ask questions)
Right now, units get deselected, when you click on the map while a unit is selected. The task now is to make tanks move where you click (except if it's another unit, then the unit shall be selected or if it's the sidebar, then the unit should be deselected) and let the img/dust.png animation play on the lower back of the tank while it's moving. Bartbes, do you want to do this one?

I'll generate more animations (helicopter and rocket flying) and create new tasks tomorrow. I will also be hanging out on irc.freenode.net #loveclub. (If you want to join but don't know how to, try mibbit.

PS: some important git commands (which can be seen on the Assembla git page as well):

Code: Select all

git pull

git add .
git commit -m "commit message here"
git push
SnakeFace: I wanted to write a task for the messaging system for you, but I just realized that I haven't an overview of its full complexity right now and need some sleep. :) More tomorrow!
osgeld
Party member

Post by osgeld »

see, this is where i get all "my way", and hince why i dont really work well with others lol

"my way" for moving units would be on a grid format, instead of point of click, sorta like any turn based game

which brings me to another question, is this real time (rts) or turn (any tactics game) based

ive kinda glanced over the design statements but, you never really stated that

also i hate going "there" for documents, and "here" for code, and "wherever" for images, let me set you up a devspace on my host, it wont take toooo long heh

(sounds like im in on this thing, even tho i have a policy to avoid helping on games based on real / current events)
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

qubodup wrote:Bartbes, do you want to do this one?
Sure, I can't wait to get the development code.

EDIT: BTW, what's with the 24,9 mouse offset?
EDIT2: Found it, tank image = 48x18
qubodup
Inner party member

Post by qubodup »

bartbes wrote:EDIT: BTW, what's with the 24,9 mouse offset?
EDIT2: Found it, tank image = 48x18
You're super-welcome to add comments when you discover something that wasn't so clear from the beginning :)

I think in the unit table, there is one undocumented colum. If I understood correctly, it indicates the reloading/fuel percentage. This however will have to be seperated into two columns, as every unit should have a reload percentage (so that it won't shoot all the time, but at a certain rate) and the heli will need a seperate fuel bar (so it can't stay in air all the time).

I will update the design document accordingly later and tell that I did when I did. (what kind of sentence is this? :death:)
qubodup
Inner party member

Post by qubodup »

A small video of the first (incomplete) unit movement implementation.

Don't worry, I won't create another video unless there's really something to show. :)