LOVE on PS3

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
pseudonym
Prole

LOVE on PS3

Post by pseudonym »

Hello,

LOVE is cool

I'm completely new to LOVE and LUA, with experience as a Flash game developer looking to develop a game for PS3.

Can anyone give me some information on using LOVE on PS3? Is it possible to get it running on PS3? Has anyone here done it or knows what's involved?

Thanks!

pseudo
Merkoth
Party member

Re: LOVE on PS3

Post by Merkoth »

What's involved:

1) Getting Linux for PS3 (YellowDog Linux).
2) Getting LOVE to compile under that OS (if the code isn't endianess-ready, prepare for a lot of fun).
3) Start coding your LOVE game.
4) ???
5) Profit!

Jokes aside, porting LOVE to the PS3 would be pretty cool. A shame I can't afford a PS3 :ultrahappy: I don't think anyone has ever tried this, though. Getting it to run under YellowDog would be the easiest way, since loading homebrew code is kinda tricky right now and I certainly doubt Sony will send an official devkit to rude or mike :rofl:
osgeld
Party member

Post by osgeld »

no help here, but you did inspire me to try it on my modded xbox @ xdsl, just for giggles
mikembley
Citizen

Post by mikembley »

Yellow Dog linux is a piece of crap.

I had Ubuntu installed on mine, And your post inspires me to try to get LÖVE working on.

Im no Linux guru, So my question would be: Does LÖVE work on PPC processors? As i am positive the PS3s CELL processor is PPC based.

If so, How would i go about compiling it :death:
subrime
Citizen

Post by subrime »

I run love just fine on my old PPC based ibook under linux. Not yet tried the osx port, but the hardware certainly presents no issues.
pseudonym
Prole

Post by pseudonym »

Thanks for replies - that's a shame.

Homebrew isn't an option. Our requirement for LOVE being ported to run on PS3 needs to be under the default OS that runs Sony's PS3 SDK.

Ok, different angle - does anyone know if LOVE will run anywhere /in principle/ if Lua is implemented as the scripting environment for a commercial 3D game engine (such as PhyreEngine on PS3)?

Thanks,

pseudo

[p.s. yes I believe the PS3's PPE processor is PowerPC, however: "While the PPE uses the PowerPC instruction set, it is not based on an existing design on the market today. That is to say, it is NOT based on the existing 970 / G5 or POWER processors." - http://www.blachford.info/computer/Cell/Cell1_v2.html ]
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

Well, it might if you have the time to create compat code. When using LOVE in other game engines, you have to implement the LOVE functions yourself with the function you have with that engine.
Although I'm pro-LOVE I've got to say that that might be a bit too much. So if you start using another game engine it's easier to just use that game engine, and not try implement another within it.
pseudonym
Prole

Post by pseudonym »

LOVE looks to be an ideal engine for 2D games, and I'm not currently aware of any 2D game engines freely (or cheaply) available for PS3 Development - only PhyreEngine, which is 3D - but I believe it supports Lua for scripting game objects, so my thinking is getting hold of PhyreEngine, sticking LOVE into the Lua environment, and going with that. I have next to zero knowledge about this technology however, so that might not be possible or the best way of going about it.
Merkoth
Party member

Post by Merkoth »

If you do have access to official PS3 kits, why not por the thing yourself? It has absolutely no license constraints and if the PS3 SDK is anything near the PS2 or the PSP it shouldn't be really difficult to port.

I don't want to be offensive, but the last time I talked with SCEA employees, getting a PS3 devkit isn't something your Average Joe would do in his spare time. What kind of Flash developer are you? PhyreEngine isn't available to the general public yet, are you part of a SCE licensed studio?
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

Well the LOVE compat code would have to be able to access everything, and in my opninion "scripting game objects" sound very limited.
So you might do as Merkoth says and try to port it.