Zevv game

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
zevv
Prole

Zevv game

Post by zevv »

Hi all,

Here's my first submission:

The objective of the game is to keep the level of colored blocks down as long as possible. New blocks are falling down at an increasing rate, blocks can be removed by creating rows of three or more blocks of the same color. The longer the row, the more points you get.

The next version will have key-repeat support. It seems that this is not built in love, so I will have to put something together using keyboard.isDown and a timer function.

Image Image

Enjoy,

Zevv

PS. This actually is a love port of a game I wrote a few years ago. The original (written in C / SDL) can be found at http://zevv.nl/play/code/game/.
Attachments
game-20090128.love
(393.77 KiB) Downloaded 457 times
Last edited by zevv on Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tabasco
Citizen

Re: Zevv game

Post by Tabasco »

That's a really neat game with satisfying graphics.
It would increase the file size dramatically, but some music might be nice.

Lastly, this may or may not be a bug, but when a tile drops and makes a match at any point, whether falling or landed, it will dissolve.
For instance

Code: Select all

x

xx x
yz p
zyqr
The x blocks will solve themselves before the falling block has landed. I can see that being a desirable gameplay element as well as an undesirable one.

Keep up the good work!
Kaze
Party member

Post by Kaze »

Quite a hard game, yet fun. Highest score was 900~ :ultrashocked::
zevv
Prole

Re: Zevv game, updated

Post by zevv »

Hi,

Thanks for testing, you were right about the bug. Here's a new version.

Changes:

- Fixed bug where falling bricks could complete a row
- Added music
- Show bonus points
- Better mouse responsiveness

Todo:

- Fix keyboard repeat

The file size is still under 512 Kb, I could scrape some bytes of the wav files by lowering the samplerate and mixing down to 1 channel, and changed some of the graphics to jpg instead of png.

Enjoy!
Last edited by zevv on Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
farvardin
Party member

Post by farvardin »

Very nice game! The graphics are gorgeous. Please don't alter the pixel perfect png by converting them down to jpg!

It reminds me of the game "crack attack".

I think I've found a bug, when you pause, the game is paused but not the timer to making the game run faster, so if you pause and come back 10 minutes later, the game will be unplayable.
Dr. Magnusson
Prole

Post by Dr. Magnusson »

It's a very nice game, and seems very complete.

I found one bug, when the tiles reach the top and the game is over the spawn speed of blocks isn't reset, so if you just press S and start a new game they will spawn as quickly as they did in the end of the previous game.
harrio
Prole

Post by harrio »

same here...once you die the first time, the speed is ridiculous and i have to quit out and start a new game.

beautiful game by the way. is it original? if so, i think you have a casual game money maker here.
spreadin the love... http://harrio.tumblr.com
zevv
Prole

Post by zevv »

Dr. Magnusson wrote:I found one bug, when the tiles reach the top and the game is over the spawn speed of blocks isn't reset, so if you just press S and start a new game they will spawn as quickly as they did in the end of the previous game.
Yes, the bug was in the first version I posted, but I believe this is fixed in the second version I posted later in the thread. What's the proper thing to do when updating a game posted earlier, should I edit the original top post and change the attachement ?
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

Well, that's the easiest thing to do for the readers/downloaders, as they don't have to search through the whole topic (mine is 8 pages now). So yes, put it in the first post (you might want to try adding a version indication though).
zevv
Prole

Post by zevv »

Ok, I've updated the file in the original post and added the publication date as a version number in the filename.

Thanks for the feedback !