Raspberry Pi boards

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
johnny66
Prole

Raspberry Pi boards

Post by johnny66 »

I would love to see Love2d on the Raspberry Pi. Has anyone one got hold of one of these?
Ghuntar
Prole

Re: Raspberry Pi boards

Post by Ghuntar »

A port seems unlikely now, but doable :
1- There is no official ARM port of love, but maybe you could compile one.
2- The processor of the Raspberry support OpenGL ES, and LOVE is based on OpenGL : Take a look at nlöve (if SDL exist on ARM) or code a OpenGL ES port.
Löve.
3- Other library should exist for ARM.
Crazy Little Thing Called LÖVE.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

The day Löve is fully ported to a handheld of any sort, I will buy said handheld. If it is easy to install Löve and easy to get my project onto it from my computer.
hryx
Party member

Post by hryx »

You know what would be sick? A tiny Love arcade machine.

Take the :P π anywhere with a power outlet.
Mantic
Prole

Post by Mantic »

WELL, it just so happens that my raspberry pi came in the mail yesterday. I installed the debian-raspberry pi distro and got Love2D compiled in about an hour! No dependency hickups or anything! :cool:

Only problem is when I go to run love it crashes while trying to get an OpenGL screen (as expected). So it appears the only problem is the OpenGL -> OpenGL-ES conversion. :cry:

Oh, and speaking of a raspberry-love-pi arcade machine: that's EXACTLY what I want to do. Anybody know how to convert/port/hack Love2D to OpenGL-ES?

*Edit: turns out not getting an openGl screen is because it's looking for X11(?) GPU access and not using the pi's alternative path to the gpu. I don't know much more than that assumption, but I plan on looking into it. OpenGL will work on the pi, even if only in CPU rendering mode.