Joust!

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
counterfactual_jones
Prole

Joust!

Post by counterfactual_jones »

Okay, so here's a peek at what I'm working on. Definitely not complete, right now it's just a 'hey, try some stuff out' kind of prototype. So graphics and sound are v. low priority. Regardless - feedback, comments on the code and features which'd be cool would be awesome. Not sure if I'll stay vector, or go pixel art.

Screenie:

Update:
Basic collisions, i.e. between entities which would react now do, no death yet. But the colour change shows which thingy would've died, and is the beginning of an 'invulnerable' state.
Flapping is more like the original joust, you only move sideways during flaps, or dives. (well, only accelerate)
Added colour, and some clues as to which way things are facing, which will be important if I add lances as separate objects.
More comments welcome.
Attachments
joust.love
Updated version
(3.12 KiB) Downloaded 316 times
Last edited by counterfactual_jones on Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Peter Hickman
Prole

Re: Joust!

Post by Peter Hickman »

Something to differentiate the player from the other birds would be nice even if it is just a colour change. The code looks very nice I can certainly learn something from it. If you want some sounds then it would be an idea to go to http://www.freesound.org/ and register. There are plenty of usable sounds that you can use.

Of course making your own sounds is fun :)

You're doing fine, keep it up.
zevv
Prole

Post by zevv »

You're not a newbe to lua programming, are you ? :)
Skofo
Party member

Post by Skofo »

Whoa! This is cool! :ultrashocked:: One suggestion is to raise the gravity a little, like in the original Joust. Make the player able to jump from one of the middle platform corners and easily swoop under the side platforms, as I think it was in the original game. Also, after that, I'd work on the being able to kill each other. :ultraglee: I personally had shitty luck using vector art, it takes a long time and the things I make in it end up shit anyway. But that might just be my lack of artistic experience. ;)

Hail the creepy doll!

Also hahah, wow, ImageShack forces advertisements on your images, now? I'd suggest quitting using them. They're slow, they dump your image if it's using too much bandwidth, and apparently now they're forcing ads on you (not to mention the pop-ups they trick your browser into opening when you upload an image). Use TinyPic! ;)
Peter Hickman wrote:Something to differentiate the player from the other birds would be nice even if it is just a colour change.
A color change might be nice at first, but definitely don't stick with just a color change. Make their sprites different shapes or whatever. You have to think about colorblind people. ;)
zevv wrote:You're not a newbe to lua programming, are you ? :)
You could say that he's no stranger to LÖVE. :ultrahappy:
Working on: Viator
Need a 64-bit Debian package for LÖVE? Here it is!
counterfactual_jones
Prole

zevv wrote:You're not a newbe to lua programming, are you ? :)
This is actually my first lua program, but I'm no newbie to programming.
counterfactual_jones
Prole

Updated the file. 28 Downloads! Sweet.

Also think I forgot to mention, the ground is now hot lava. (not that you can die or anything)
Kaze
Party member

Post by Kaze »

Sometimes the player and the birds get stuck in the top-right corner.