LOVE.blast(), arena shooter example game

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
YellowAfterlife
Prole

LOVE.blast(), arena shooter example game

Post by YellowAfterlife »

axQzarXjRrnG7-love-blast.png
axQzarXjRrnG7-love-blast.png (7.63 KiB) Viewed 7605 times
What's this
LOVE.blast() is an arena shooter game, which I made by request of several people to demonstrate how to handle instances, collisions, and few other things.
This game's point is quite simple - shoot things, try to avoid contacts with enemies.
To make game somewhat forgiving (considering the screen size of 800x600), player health regenerates at a fair rate.

Controls
WASD - move around
Mouse - in-game = shoot, in-menu = start game

Download
LOVEblast1.02.love
(3.03 KiB) Downloaded 425 times
Edit: links were long dead so I attached the most recent version I had archived.

Updates
  • 1.02 HTML5 (online version changes)
    Auto-fire is on, to prevent one awkward bug related to loosing track of keyboard events while clicking in Chrome. Press Space to *not* shoot.
    Added slight 'fade' background effect.
    Fixed bug in spawning at 'odder' framerates.
    Added slight enemy fade depending on health (thanks, coffee)
    Added an online version.
    Fixed game to work with variable framerate.
    Framerate of at least 15 frames per second is recommended to play this game.
Have a nice day.
Last edited by YellowAfterlife on Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:49 am, edited 3 times in total.
yal.cc
Contains things I work on. Also gets Love2d examples time to time.
coffee
Party member

Re: LOVE.blast(), arena shooter example game

Post by coffee »

Congratulations, very minimal gameplay and style but very well accomplished. I liked specially the behavior of enemy.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Nice!

I got 1925, because the enemies seem have the tendency of going towards your stream of bullets.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
MarekkPie
Inner party member

Post by MarekkPie »

If this does not include "BIG MONEY! BIG PRIZES! I LOVE IT!" then it is not a dual-stick (arena) shooter.

Looks nice, though.
ishkabible
Party member

Post by ishkabible »

can you make it frame independent? I die in like a second...
MarekkPie
Inner party member

Post by MarekkPie »

13141...but I would suggest a different key to start the game then left mouse, because I wasn't able to SS it since I immediately started another game.
coffee
Party member

Post by coffee »

Made a quick alteration/suggestion because I think make it cooler and helps to decide what to shoot. I hope you don't mind YellowAfterlife. I will remove it if I went too far.
LOVEblastGHOSTed.love
Done in early v1.0, not 1.01

EDITED: I added the same ghost effect to ship but didn't result so nice as with enemies so I removed it
Last edited by coffee on Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YellowAfterlife
Prole

coffee wrote:Congratulations, very minimal gameplay and style but very well accomplished. I liked specially the behavior of enemy.
Thanks! It really matters.
ishkabible wrote:can you make it frame independent? I die in like a second...
Oh wow, can't believe I overlooked delta in love.update. This is what happens when you only have function names, and not their meanings :P (wiki & forum 502'd for me earlier today). Fixed, post updated.
MarekkPie wrote:13141...but I would suggest a different key to start the game then left mouse, because I wasn't able to SS it since I immediately started another game.
Done, mapped start key to 'Space'. Is a totally neutral key through rest of game.
coffee wrote:Made a quick alteration/suggestion because I think make it cooler and helps to decide what to shoot. I hope you don't mind YellowAfterlife. I will remove it if I went too far.
LOVEblastGHOSTed.love
Done in early v1.0, not 1.01

EDITED: I added the same ghost effect to ship but the result didn't result so nice as enemies so I removed it
That's a pretty nice idea. Might add something similar to next update :)

Of other things in update, balanced enemy values to give them a bit better behavior when in extra-large crowds, and limited maximum amount of damage that player can take per second (accidentally 'catching' 3 'corner' enemies from crowd is not instant death anymore).
Will update blog post later, since I can't access my site now due to it's hosting server being DDOS'd by someone :| .
yal.cc
YellowAfterlife
Prole

Game updated!
Added coffee's suggestion, and as well added a online version that can be played in browser.
Have fun.
yal.cc
coffee
Party member

Post by coffee »

YellowAfterlife wrote:Game updated!
Added coffee's suggestion, and as well added a online version that can be played in browser.
Have fun.
All seems working well. I think you could apply the auto-fire to LOVE version because actually there isn't nothing that we need to left alive. We wouldn't need keep clicking a button from start to end.

About online version (I really don't like to call it html5) all seems to work fine. Tested in Safari. Starts to slow and have some performance jumps with +30 enemies. I have the feeling that have less fire rate than LOVE version. BTW what you use to "compress" .JS?