Humble Bundle

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
slime
Solid Snayke

Re: Humble Bundle

Post by slime »

On topic: Here are some statistics over time. It's pretty interesting how different the number of purchases for each bundle are - the main numbered "Humble Indie Bundle" ones clearly have the most attention from people. I'm curious if the Humble Bundle staff will take their Humble Store further than just a simple payment processor for indies (which is awesome already).

Off topic: trubblegum's claim can be falsified easily (I only need one example to falsify it...), but he would no doubt simply claim that the statistics or methods used to falsify it were made up. There's little point trying to have an evidence-based conversation with someone making such claims. It's the sort of thought path conspiracy theorists, global warming deniers, etc. go through.
timmeh42
Citizen

Post by timmeh42 »

you don't think trubblegum was being a bit, I dunno, sarcastic maybe?
Interesting to note how Windows users represented only about half the payments at first - somehow Mac and Linux users heard more about it in the beginning, or maybe they were more interested?

Also note the rather obvious large Linux user payment sector for the first Android bundle - but not as large as one might expect?
Compare it to the more averagely segmented pie for the second Android Bundle - not as Android-specific as it first appears? Should they drop the "Android" title for these bundles then?
coffee
Party member

Post by coffee »

timmeh42 wrote:Interesting to note how Windows users represented only about half the payments at first - somehow Mac and Linux users heard more about it in the beginning, or maybe they were more interested?
Not suprised. This kind of Indie games are a bit style socio-demographic more oriented for users that don't use Windows (which majority I think prefer the "big" hardware-consuming games). Also Jeff Vogel's RPG games are very popular with Mac users community.

Other amusing "conclusions":
Average Windows:$5.77 <-- Don't have much money, but have more free choices that Mac but less than Linux. Need to pay a bit for play last high end-games.
Average Mac:$6.96 <-- They have some money, but they have to waste a lot in last hardware versions (Steve demands!) and pay for almost every software.
Average Linux:$9.73 <-- They have much more money to spare cause they don't need to waste on software or end-tech hardware.

Disclaimer: I don't have proof of nothing, no numbers, no figures given by friends, are innocent "fun" suppositions. Please don't get harsh on me.
Last edited by coffee on Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

As a Linux user, I'd like to add another reason for paying more: we're glad we're getting some professional attention from game makers. Plus Linux users are more used to pay as a way to reward creators, rather than something nigh-inevitable that you should try to avoid. (Disclosure: I remember reading that somewhere.)
Help us help you: attach a .love.
tentus
Inner party member

Post by tentus »

Yeah, I posit that Linux is consistently higher because Linux users are trying to vote with their dollars, an effort I fully support. Developers can look at the numbers here and say to each other/their publishers, "Look, there is money here. Let's tap that."
Kurosuke needs beta testers
timmeh42
Citizen

Post by timmeh42 »

Less "amusing", more "realistic" conclusions:

Average Windows:$5.77 <-- Have heaps of money, too cheap to support them fully but just that bit too guilty to pirate the bundle.(ie, me)
Average Mac:$6.96 <-- Have heaps of money, but rather spend it on iOS games. and the latest iPad
Average Linux:$9.73 <-- They have less money, but feel they should pay for at least some software. And most Linux-only games are crap

Also, feel free to bash my opinions. In fact, bash them because they're my opinions - I bash them too.
EDIT: I just realised something: I fit in the "Windows" category, except for the fact that I am actually pretty poor.
Last edited by timmeh42 on Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coffee
Party member

Post by coffee »

timmeh42 wrote: Average Linux:$9.73 <-- They have less money, but feel they should pay for at least some software. And most Linux-only games are crap

Also, feel free to bash my opinions. In fact, bash them because they're my opinions - I bash them too.
eheheh, that's the spirit. Or this alternative:
Average Linux:$9.73 <--
A lot of them probably work in server admin/security biz, so they gain some good bucks defending systems.
OR
A lot of them probably work in server admin/security biz, so they gain some good bucks attacking systems.
OR/AND
A lot of them probably work in server admin/security biz, so they gain some good bucks attacking and defending systems.
:D
middlerun
Citizen

Post by middlerun »

timmeh42 wrote:And most Linux-only games are crap
As a Linux user, I can confirm this.