Love Hates Vista 64 Bit

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
Xcmd
Party member

Love Hates Vista 64 Bit

Post by Xcmd »

I just had to migrate from Ubuntu 8.10 to Vista and I can't get Love to run anything I'd made and had working just fine over in 32-bit Ubuntu. Basically anything I run pops up a window briefly and then crashes hard. If I run love.exe directly it boots up just fine and shows me the Salted Nuts no game screen. Any ideas? I used the installer from the main page to install 0.5.0 for Windows.
We don't borrow, we don't read, we don't rent, we don't lease, we take the minds!
Xcmd
Party member

Re: Love Hates Vista 64 Bit

Post by Xcmd »

Further experimentation yields the following: whether using the built-in archiving tool or 7-zip, love does NOT like the files zipped up on my computer. Downloaded .love files from other computers run fine, however. Dropping a folder onto Love directly does get it to launch. So, love hates files zipped by Vista 64-bit.
We don't borrow, we don't read, we don't rent, we don't lease, we take the minds!
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

Maybe vista 64-bit uses a better compression rate PhysicsFS doesn't read. Or maybe vista does the same as mac. (wrong packaging)
osuf oboys
Party member

Post by osuf oboys »

Xcmd wrote:Further experimentation yields the following: whether using the built-in archiving tool or 7-zip, love does NOT like the files zipped up on my computer. Downloaded .love files from other computers run fine, however. Dropping a folder onto Love directly does get it to launch. So, love hates files zipped by Vista 64-bit.
I have uploaded some love files compressed in vista 64bit, so I believe the issue is not purely OS specific. I have not tried using 7zip nor dropping folders.
If I haven't written anything else, you may assume that my work is released under the LPC License - the LÖVE Community. See http://love2d.org/wiki/index.php?title=LPC_License.
Neptar
Prole

Post by Neptar »

I have vista 64, but I use winrar, and have had no problems.
Xcmd
Party member

Post by Xcmd »

Well I'm specifically using the 32-bit version of 7zip and also the short-cut "Send to > Compressed Folder (Zipped Archive)" feature. I'm wondering if I should try something else? 7zip's been my compression stand-by for... for ever! Any suggestions? I'm a huge proponent of Open Source software. Or failing that, then at least GPL'd or one of the other more liberal copy protection schemes.
Xcmd
Party member

Post by Xcmd »

Here's, uh... a dumb question: am I supposed to be making a .zip file and then changing it's filename to .love or am I supposed to use... something... else?

Because I just encountered the same exact issue on Ubuntu... i386 version.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

Yes you do, but you do know you aren't supposed to pack the dir, only it's contents?
Xcmd
Party member

Post by Xcmd »

Ah, no. I didn't know that. Mystery solved (on the Ubuntu machine, at least... I'll have to double-check the Vista box this evening.)

Thank you muchly!