New project - Escape

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
graytest
Prole

New project - Escape

Post by graytest »

I've just started a new game. I haven't gotten very far but thought I'd share my progress along the way and hopefully get some helpful feedback.
So far it is just the main menu and I'm still trying to figure out the exact gameplay. It will include zombies and the goal will be to try and get out of the city. First I was thinking squad based turn based strategy (something like Jagged Alliance). But now I'm thinking something a bit more focused on suspense and story. So maybe a side scrolling adventure game where focus will be on avoiding the zombies more than killing them.

Let me know what you think!
Attachments
Escape.love
(435.85 KiB) Downloaded 463 times
Larsii30
Party member

Re: New project - Escape

Post by Larsii30 »

The main menu looks promising.
May you could add some more detail to the buildings in the background later. But this isn't very important.
The lightning effect is cool . The rain could be a bit more random.

Good luck with your project :)
graytest
Prole

Post by graytest »

You are absolutely correct about the rain. I've changed it now. :)
I don't want to add too much detail because I couldn't keep that standard up. Maybe if I can get some help from a good artist later I'll replace all of it. But as long as I'm doing it myself it will be as simple as possible.
TechnoCat
Inner party member

Post by TechnoCat »

graytest wrote:You are absolutely correct about the rain. I've changed it now. :)
I don't want to add too much detail because I couldn't keep that standard up. Maybe if I can get some help from a good artist later I'll replace all of it. But as long as I'm doing it myself it will be as simple as possible.
If you plan to have an artist do it later, just put really crappy placeholder art in for now. Then you can code the game (though ugly for now) really quickly and get a good game much quicker.
zipperipper
Prole

Post by zipperipper »

I absolutely love the feel of the main menu, i really like the rain, background and music, nice combination :3
Error 404, consciousness not found.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Yeah. Use placeholder images. I have terrible OCD that seems to keep me from concentrating on my coding because I'm continually distracted by the non-perfect graphics even though I'm not an artist. If I can somehow get passed that I can code a bit better.

Of course there's still my inability to stick to one project before getting bored or stuck and moving on then coming back and recoding it because it learned new techniques and hate having to recode stuff over just starting over.

Damn my OCD and ADD.
molul
Party member

Post by molul »

LOL. I went directly to try the .love file and after a while I came back to this thread to confirm it's just the menu XDD
graytest
Prole

Post by graytest »

molul wrote:LOL. I went directly to try the .love file and after a while I came back to this thread to confirm it's just the menu XDD
Yes, it is a very early version. :)

I've started adding to the gameplay and making some slow progress. Played a little with shaders the other day which is fun. :)

I also have a question about stencils that maybe someone knows the answer to:

I've been adding light sources by drawing a circle with a radius specified by the light source into a stencil. Then drawing a black (with some transparency) rectangle over the whole screen. The parts where I draw the light circles will not receive any black and therefore look lit by the light. The problem is that the circle of light doesn't have any blurred edges, so I was trying to change the alpha value of the light in a shader based on the length from the center of the circle, but it seems like the shader isn't used at all (it works fine when drawing not to the stencil).

So does anyone know if shaders can't be used when drawing to stencil? Or can the stencil not have alpha value (haven't tested that yet)?
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

graytest wrote:Or can the stencil not have alpha value
That. (AFAIK)